13 reasons why you're not in med school yet

I’m 2 semesters away from finishing the MSN-FNP program. This means I’d be eligible to graduate and sit the NP boards in the summer of 2015. If I would be able to get licensed and work as an NP for a while then maybe I’d keep going. However, 2015 happens to be the year that the AACN wants the state boards of nursing to change the nurse practitioner licensing requirements from the MSN to the DNP degree. There is mention that NPs who are already licensed would be grandfathered in, but that all new licensees (i.e., me) would have to complete the clinical doctorate degree before they can apply for a license.

Most universities that offer NP programs have already changed the programs over to the DNP format. The others are slowly implementing the change. New NP students in most schools no longer have the MSN as an option—except as a bridge to the DNP. The colleges love this because they get to keep students in school a few years longer and collect more expensive tuition and fees. That’s 2 to 3 years of doctoral level coursework, writing tons of high-brow research papers, 700 or so more clinical hours, and perhaps another 20k to 30k (or more) in tuition and fees. Would you really recommend this for a person who’s serious about preparing to enter med school within the next year or two? The question is not rhetorical btw, I’d really like to hear your opinion on this. I’m wondering if dropping out would nuke my med school applications if I explained why I dropped. I mean, its not like I was getting bad grades or anything.

When I first applied to my NP program, Columbia University was the only school that was offering the DNP option, and no one was even thinking that it would one day become the standard.

• rgp1207 Said:
When I first applied to my NP program, Columbia University was the only school that was offering the DNP option, and no one was even thinking that it would one day become the standard.

I saw this coming years ago which is why I think anyone considering medical fields like FP should give that a LOT of thought.

If I were you, I'd finish the NP and complete a residency in the field I think I want to enter (if you can). Then I'd apply to med school.

I think it would be easy to spin a story about how completing an NP residency in some area reinforced your desire to complete medical school.

I'm also certain not everyone currently in NP programs can afford/have the desire to complete the DNP. So I'm certain their must be suitable alternatives.
  • pathdr2b Said:
  • rgp1207 Said:

I saw this coming years ago which is why I think anyone considering medical fields like FP should give that a LOT of thought.

If I were you, I'd finish the NP and complete a residency in the field I think I want to enter (if you can). Then I'd apply to med school.

I think it would be easy to spin a story about how completing an NP residency in some area reinforced your desire to complete medical school.

I'm also certain not everyone currently in NP programs can afford/have the desire to complete the DNP. So I'm certain their must be suitable alternatives.

Honestly, I have to say that makes a lot of sense. I mean I too feel your pain rgp, but you should finish the NP program and try to slip in a pre-med req or two if possible.

[quote=pathdr2b

I’m also certain not everyone currently in NP programs can afford/have the desire to complete the DNP. So I’m certain their must be suitable alternatives.

The masters degrees are quickly being phased out. Most universities don't offer them anymore. If you're currently in one the university will graduate you with the letters, but that really doesn't mater if the state board of nursing changes the conditions for licensure. They will just tell you that you have to go back to school and get the DNP before you can apply to sit the NP boards exam. According to the proposed changes, there will be no alternative.

Most of the students in my cohort are hoping that they will be able to scrape through before the state implements the DNP requirement because they don't want to do it. I have a strong feeling that the state will change the standards next year though. The DNP is one of the conditions that the NP lobbyists have been pitching to state legislators in order to convince them to grant NPs fully independent practice privileges.

What you said makes sense. Completing the degree would make my med school application look tidier. I will think about it more. Thanks for your insight.
  • rgp1207 Said:
I'm 2 semesters away from finishing the MSN-FNP program. This means I'd be eligible to graduate and sit the NP boards in the summer of 2015. If I would be able to get licensed and work as an NP for a while then maybe I'd keep going. However, 2015 happens to be the year that the AACN wants the state boards of nursing to change the nurse practitioner licensing requirements from the MSN to the DNP degree. There is mention that NPs who are already licensed would be grandfathered in, but that all new licensees (i.e., me) would have to complete the clinical doctorate degree before they can apply for a license.

Most universities that offer NP programs have already changed the programs over to the DNP format. The others are slowly implementing the change. New NP students in most schools no longer have the MSN as an option---except as a bridge to the DNP. The colleges love this because they get to keep students in school a few years longer and collect more expensive tuition and fees. That's 2 to 3 years of doctoral level coursework, writing tons of high-brow research papers, 700 or so more clinical hours, and perhaps another 20k to 30k (or more) in tuition and fees. Would you really recommend this for a person who's serious about preparing to enter med school within the next year or two? The question is not rhetorical btw, I'd really like to hear your opinion on this. I'm wondering if dropping out would nuke my med school applications if I explained why I dropped. I mean, its not like I was getting bad grades or anything.

Seriously, what is the point of this? I could see for teaching purposes, but really? Come on. Hopefully you'd get grandfathered in for licensure.

I'd only do this for teaching at a university. Stuff like this makes me really think of overstep into medicine. Some people think physicians are paranoid about this; but pushing stuff like this makes me think they are not. Whatever you decide, don't let it hurt your chances for med school.

Wish you the best.

I dropped out of an NP program to apply to med school…it worked out fine…so PM me if you’d like more details. Don’t spend the money if you don’t want to do it.