1st exams in 12 years!

Hey, gang! Hope all is well in your respective worlds… I just wanted to report in, because I am in the middle of my first round of Bio/Chem I exams. I made the highest grade in the class on my biology exam (a 100!), and my Chemistry test is tonight…I don’t feel nearly as confident about chemistry, but at this point I either know it or I don’t!

I don’t know about you, but I’ve found that my study habits are completely different now that I have a higher goal in sight. When I took these classes the first time, I crammed. Yes, I made A’s, but I didn’t retain anything. Now that I am reaching for something bigger, I understand that these classes are my foundation. So I am striving for a working, even conversational knowledge of this material. After reading…and re-reading five chapters of Biology, pouring over my notes, and doing extra work, I feel like I really have a comfortable grasp on this content. Any time a word is mentioned in conversation that I can relate to Biology, I tried to do so in my mind… Hearing a commercial that mentioned carbs, and I’m going through all that I know about that macromolecule in terms of its structures, functions, types… See a cannister of protein powder at the store and start to think through structures–Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, etc. and all that each level involves. It became a fun game, kind of… I mean, my husband wasn’t entertained, but hey! I enjoyed it! The point is that when it came to the exam, I wasn’t intimidated walking in, and I found the whole thing to be extremely easy… because I didn’t CRAM.

As a wife and mom with a full time career, I realized that I have to find ways to build studying into my day whether I have a book open or not. And it really, truly works.

Wow… If only I could go back to 19 year old me and tell myself how much easier things would be that way…

So good luck to each of you who are facing exams, and know that you’re not alone!!! Have a beautiful day, all!

• carrieliz Said:
I don't know about you, but I've found that my study habits are completely different now that I have a higher goal in sight. When I took these classes the first time, I crammed. Yes, I made A's, but I didn't retain anything. Now that I am reaching for something bigger, I understand that these classes are my foundation. So I am striving for a working, even conversational knowledge of this material.

Carrieliz,

I am also finding this to be true...and I'm trying to pass this on to my own kids NOW, while they're still elementary/middle schoolers. I also appreciate the recommendation of finding ways to pull new learning into everyday situations to help reinforce the material.

Annette

I know exactly what you mean about turning learning into a sort of game, and taking everyday situations and applying what you have learned to them. I was taking a shower this morning and found myself thinking about the polarity of the water molecules and their dipole moment (we just finished studying inter- and intramolecular forces in chemistry II). I actually started laughing out loud. But was quite pleased with myself at the same time.

AAAAAH, happy Friday dance! My chem instructor just emailed me my grade for my first exam-- 96%… I’ll absolutely take that, because chemistry just does NOT come naturally for me. Whew! Now I can enjoy the weekend by studying for the NEXT chem exam on Wednesday… stoichiometry, anyone?