2.5 GPA...Help?

I just recently graduated with a B.A. in Biology. My undergraduate degree is a depressing 2.5. Simply put, things occurred which resulted in this. Anyway…I plan to go to graduate school first and get a Masters in Microbiology/Immunology. Depending on my completion of my masters degree, I will most likely attend medical school. My questions are: Is this a good path to take? Because of my poor Gpa is med school even worth it now? Are there other suggestions out there that will make me more competitive? thanks =)

Hello and welcome to Old Pre Meds. If you look around you will see that you are among kindred spirits when it comes to skeletons in your closet. Just do a search, or even just read Old Man Dave’s Biography.

But to give you some hope, yes you can do it. I graduated in 1997 with a B.S. and a 2.57 GPA. In 2007 I graduated from Grad School with a 3.75 GPA and I am now in the middle of my 2nd year of medical school. So yes, it is possible. But you will need to realize that what you are entering is a marathon and not a sprint. And the only person that you are racing against is yourself. So do not put a time frame on this. It will take time, and sometimes a lot of it.

Speak to admissions people and see what they recommend doing. Either a Post-Bacc or a Masters before you commit to a program. Get all of the information ready before you jump into this venture. Good luck and welcome.

“But you will need to realize that what you are entering is a marathon and not a sprint. And the only person that you are racing against is yourself. So do not put a time frame on this. It will take time, and sometimes a lot of it.”

that should be stickied somewhere

Thanks guys! I don’t feel as bad. I do agree, though, this process is not a sprint. I am taking the GRE’s in February. Also, I am still looking for a job in a lab, or anywhere for that matter…stupid recession! But anyway, I will be shadowing a few residents in February, so it will be a great learning experience.

Keep posting. I hope to apply to SOM next year. I love reading your posts. Motivation.

-Lou