2 Schools for Req's ok?

Hello to my favorite group of overachievers!

I graduated with a B.S. '09.

I started pre-req’s last fall at a small school that was supposed to be cheap, but has a decent pre-health program. After 3 semesters, they have denyed my residency reclassification and it’s going to continue to cost me $5000 per class rather than $500.

At that price, I would prefer to be closer to my family (it would also be easier to study for the MCATS). Is it bad to start taking classes at one school and switch to another?

I got A’s in Bio I, Gen Chem and Genetics, and B+'s in Gen Chem II and Cell Bio. I am finishing Organic I here in Aug. So far, my GPA is 3.7. I was planning to take Anatomy & Phys I plus Orgo II in the fall, now I can’t afford it here.

What would I need to keep in mind if I abandoned this school and started up again at Rutgers (aside from finding a new lab to get research experience in)?

I started the process at one school and am finishing it up at another. My reason was because my wife got a job in another state and had to move. I think your reasons are justified for leaving the one, you might get asked about it, but as long as you explain it like you have I would think they couldn’t hold it against you.

How will you handle med-school applications?

Don’t you have to get one letter of recommendation from the pre-med committee at one school?

Neither school I attended had a pre-med committee, so I didn’t have to worry about that. I do have professors from both schools represented in my recommendation list.

As far as a committe goes maybe some folks with committees have some answers.

I am completing almost all my undergrad at my state university. They have a pre-med committee, so I am using them (my top choice is my state school, and in conversations with the dean, he stated that if a student has access to a committee and they don’t use it, they are not getting into his school). A classmate of mine had already completed her undergrad at another school and was only taking a few pre-reqs that she needed at my school. She did not qualify for our committee because she had not completed 5 (?) of the pre-reqs at the school, so she is submitting letters on her own. I assume each school is different in their requirements to qualify for the committee, so you probably need to check at the school to which you are transferring. I’m not sure if that answers your question?

I don’t think it’s a red flag, and I wouldn’t worry about it.

I did a piece-meal post-bacc at three different institutions, and they asked about it in my interviews. In the end it didn’t matter, and I was able to give a solid explanation. Also, the formal “post-bacc” year had an amazing advisor who was, essentially, the committee. It sounds like you’ve already thought about the letters of recommendation. The important thing is that you’re on track with your plan, taking the courses that you need, and getting solid grades—which you seem to be doing. Good luck.

You don’t need a committee letter. There are still a fair number of undergrad schools that do not provide committee letters for their students. Instead, students are responsible for obtaining their own letters of recommendation.

I did my pre-reqs at two different schools and obtained letters from both. I used Interfolio to gather all of my letters so my writers only had to write and upload one letter.

It is not unheard of to change schools because of economic reasons. If it comes up in an interview, be honest and state that fact. No shame.

I think its ridiculous for there to be a stigma attached to changing schools and I really doubt there is one.

I know some very successful Doctors/ med students that actually told me to travel a bit now and study different places because it will enrich my experience and diversify my education + when your a student its really a great time to travel.

I think the only time changing schools would look negative is if you move from a tier one school to a worse one after getting B or C’s at the top school.

Great advice from everyone, thank you. I’m not going to put myself in a worse position financially in case I take a year to study for MCATs and have to start paying back loans.