2006 Residency Match Results

I am going to the University of Iowa for Neurology in 2007 Even though they offer a guaranteed PGY-1 year, I am trying to stay in Baltimore until my husband retires from the Army in May 2007.

Tara

It is sooo exciting to see the early match results. I’m very happy for you and mpp and wish you all the best. Iowa is sure different from Baltimore and I must say that when I visited Iowa I really liked it!
Congratulations to you on your U.Iowa Neurology match, and to mpp on her OHSU neurosurg match! Yay for you both.
Mary

CONGRATS! I have a classmate who is finishing IM & will be, I heard, doing an ICU fellowship there at U of Iowa - Jim Bonucchi. He’s an awesome guy & SMART!!!
Again, many CONGRATS!

Matched at Oregon Health & Science University for Neurosurgery…it’s somewhat closer to Alaska…

Congratultions tec. We’ll both be moving half a continent westward in pursuit of our neuroscience training.

Congrats to Tec and MPP!
I thought both U. of Iowa and OHSU were really nice. How nice to know where you’ll be going.
Epidoc (who wishes her match list was submitted)

CONGRATS MPP! Gonna be a brain surgeon…in the words of Jethro Bodine, “Got me a 6th grade education & Ima gonna be a brain surgeon”

Congrats you two!!! It’s just awesome to see OPM members get to this point!! I can’t wait myself.

Congrats MPP!!! wooohoooo!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I am sorta familiar with how the match works, but how is it you know ahead of time? It’s a good thing, don’t get me wrong, but the whole process confuses me!

There are 4 specialties that have an ‘early match’:

neurology

neurosurgery

ophthalmology

urology

There are also some plastic surgery programs that have a separate match from the regular match known as the NRMP match. Neurology, neurosurgery, and ophthalmology participate in something called the San Francisco Match. Urology has it’s own separate match. Otorhinolaryngology (ENT) used to use San Francisco match as well but they have switched to the NRMP match.

Other than the earlier dates for things there is essentially no difference between the two matching programs.

Now that all those specialties have matched, things will probably be kind of quiet in this thread until the NRMP match results are released in March.

Aha! I knew there was a San Francisco match, but for some reason I thought it was the same time as the NMRP. I learned something new today!

Quote:

I am sorta familiar with how the match works, but how is it you know ahead of time? It’s a good thing, don’t get me wrong, but the whole process confuses me!

Hi there,
Neurology and Neurosurgery are in the SF Match which takes place about one month earlier than the regular Match. This is why Tara (congratulations!!!) and MPP know where they are going to be.
The regular Match results will be out in March. The SF Match is kind of nice though because you do not have to wait as long for your results.
Congratulations MPP and Tara. Now you can just enjoy the rest of the year and plan your moves.
Natalie

tec and mpp–congratulations. That is so great! --joe wright

Hey folks…post your matches

I got my first choice and will be going to Grand Junction, CO for Family Medicine! Yay!
Jane

I’m going to Mayo- Scottsdale for Internal Medicine. I am very excited, and I’ve started looking at places to live.

I will be staying at the Univ of Maryland for my prelininary medicine year before heading out to the Univ of Iowa for my neurology residency.

I am very excited. Can’t wait to move out to the midwest

Tara

By the way, adult neurology is heading to the NRMP match next year. However, child neuro is staying in the SF Match for now. Just in case anyone is thinking about applying in those specialties.

Congratulations everyone! It is exciting to hear where you’ve all matched.
Tec–I remember when you were debating about which field to go into. It seems like just a couple months ago! Before you know it you will be on your way to Iowa. I’ll look forward to hearing about life in the Midwest. Iowa City is a great place!