2009 Match Results

Hopefully Linda and I are not the only OPMs in this year’s match.

It took me 2 extra years and 1 extra degree, but we are going to Iowa City, where I’ll be in the combined Internal Medicine/Psychiatry program at the University of Iowa.

Chicago -> Minneapolis -> Baltimore -> Iowa City

MD - University of Minnesota Medical School Twin Cities

MPH - Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health

Congrats!

I am so happy for you! Isn’t it amazing how a couple of years can change things!

Good luck in Iowa City!

Congratulations! Residency is an amazing experience, do try to enjoy it even as you wonder at times how you’ll live through it

Mary

Congratulations! It’s so awesome to hear the success stories!

Many congratulations! The wildest and most challenging part of the ride begins with internship. Let me tell you, it is simultaneously invigorating and intimidating when that pager goes off and you realize you are going to have to anwer some questions. Even more so, that first time on call when your senior is tied up, unavailable and YOU have to make your first critical decisions…you will not sleep because you will be 2nd guessing yourself until you go back and see the patient again…and again. There will also be that eerie feeling in your gut when those MS-3s on your first service look up at you and expect you to know the answer to their questions…all 10 million of them! With some degree of trepidation, you will answer them all of the time thinking, “look kid, I was just a med student a few short weeks ago…be careful how much you listen to me.”

However, after you have survived - and you will - the first couple of months and gain some traction, you will one day suddenly realize, “Wow, this is freaking cool!”

Congrats to both you of you. Job well done!

• OldManDave Said:
There will also be that eerie feeling in your gut when those MS-3s on your first service look up at you and expect you to know the answer to their questions...all 10 million of them! With some degree of trepidation, you will answer them all of the time thinking, "look kid, I was just a med student a few short weeks ago...be careful how much you listen to me."

This sounded like a quote straight from Intern Blues hehehe.

SPN,

I’m here in Iowa City in my PGY-3 year in neurology residency at UIHC if you have any questions about the hospital, area, etc. I’m also friends with many of the psych residents, particularly the current PGY-2 class. Ironically, I too moved from Baltimore to Iowa City. Remember, no question is a dumb question!!

Tara

Tara, thank you for the offer. I’ll PM you in the next few days.

Regards,

Susan

• SPN Said:
Hopefully Linda and I are not the only OPMs in this year's match.

It took me 2 extra years and 1 extra degree, but we are going to Iowa City, where I'll be in the combined Internal Medicine/Psychiatry program at the University of Iowa.

Congratulations...you'll have to make sure to share your experiences...doing a combined program with psychiatry is also an interest of mine...I'm still on the fence with what I'd like to combine it with.