29 and thinking about med school

I am 29 former newspaper publisher considering a career move. I have always wanted to be a doctor since I graduated high school back in 2010. I got a scholarship to a local technical school but threw it away after a week to take my dream job at the time. Fast forward to 2021 I am really consider going back to college to get my undergrad and then hopefully off to med school. Over the years I kept giving up because of one reason or another. I guess my question is who else has started from ground zero and gotten their MD and what age were you? What tips do you have for me?

1 Like

If your main concern is your age, my advice is to remind yourself that you will get older no matter what you do. One day you’ll be 35, whether you’re in med school or not. So better be doing something that makes you feel alive!

More generally, the spirit of all the advice here in the forums and also in the Old Pre-Meds podcast is to test the waters gradually and to really experience healthcare settings firsthand. This is the purpose behind the shadowing and experience requirements in the application: they’re not just trying to make it hard; rather, these hoops are designed to help us cut our losses and realize early on if it’s not a good fit.