30 year old female with business BS and MBA want to be a neurosurgeon

Hi Dr. Ryan Gary,

Huge fan of your podcast!

My situation is a little bit complex. I have a BS(GPA 3.0) in business overseas and I came to the US for MBA (GPA 3.5)and working in the business since then, I need to wait about 4-5 years to get the green card through my job.
I don’t have premed background, but going to take the post-bacc to make those up, which will take about 2 years.
I wanted to be a nerosurgeon since i was 12, because it was the first time that I watched a live neurology surgery and I felt addicted to it.I wanted to go to the medical school before college, but I was told you’re a girl you couldn’t do it, so I went to business school. But after all these years, I still feel that to be a surgeon is not only my passion but it’s a calling and duty for me. During the past few years, I’ve been watching all kinds of live surgeries, I still love them.

My questions are: 1)I don’t know if post-bacc is the right program for me, and 2) don’t know if waiting to get the green card and then go to the medical school is the right way, because I will be 35 or 36, or should I give up the green card and go to medical school first? I know that I want to be working as a neurosurgeon until I’m 65 or even older.

Please give me some advice.

Thank you very much!
M

1 Like

I can’t offer any advice on your circumstance, but I just read Admissions: Life as a Brain Surgeon by Henry Marsh. It is such an honest view of his view of surgery, life, and death. I hope someone else has answers to your question and good luck on your journey to medicine.

Hey! I’m in your shoes! International student with both my Bachelor & master’s in business and want to hit on medicine (Peds or pediatric surgery). Feel free to connect!

Thank you very much for your kind reply!