38 years young.

Let me begin with a little background. As the subject say I am 38 years young, father of two young sons, married but separated, and currently work 60 hours a week in a non-medical field. I have wanted to go to medical school now for eight years but was always discouraged by soon to be ex-wife. Now that we are separated and on the path to divorce my dream of med school is stronger than ever. I have discussed this with my wife recently and she replied, “PA school would be more for you, time is not on your side.” I tried to explain to her that I would feel like I settled if went to PA school but she doesn’t get it.

I graduated with a BBA and a GPA of 2.79, needless to say I was not a serious student. I can’t even remember ever studying. I want to go back Post-Bac and take the maths and

sciences but most of these undergraduate classes are offered in the day only. I have to work full time so only night or online classes would work for me. The only other option I see is taking a much less paying job at night and get private loans. How hard is it to be approved for private loans for Post-Bac course work and any suggestions on lending institutions?

Hi and welcome to OPM, you are among kindred spirits here. Regarding your question, I am not sure if there are going to be options for you regarding loans if you are not a full time student. But you can look into it.

Certainly it is better to start with government loans as they tend to have a lower interest rate than private bank loans.

Good luck

Working 60 hours plus attending classes plus attending to your relationship with your sons is going to be a challenge. Not necessarily undoable, but something to go into with your eyes wide open.

I’m an ICU RN, and I have been told by many MD’s that they would not go through with medical school again if they could do it over again. Frankly, they think I’m crazy to be considering it now, with a family. Their point is that med school/residency is incredibly hard work with a demanding job at the end of it. Do you know what you’re getting into? If the answer is truly yes, and it’s still worth it, then figure out how to make it happen.

Another thing to consider, is that PA’s actually are considered to be the most satisfied with their jobs of all health care providers. And their training is not anything to look down on. See the following link for a different perspective (from a blogger that I highly respect):

http://drnjbmd.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/common-myt …

Annette

That is from Dr. Natalie J. Bell. She is a surgeon who is also one of the original members of Old Pre Meds.

Great read! Thanks!

Hi there

your situation is very close to mine. Now I do not work 60h/week, but when I don’t work, I am taking care of my two kids. Thus between the kids, work and school work, my schedule is very very tight.

Ideally try not to burn out or screw up your chances right away by trying to take on more than you can afford to (timewise). So I would start off easy, with one class at night before considering jumping into the loan stuff and so on.

Get your feet wet, see how the water is. From there, you may decide to dive all in, or take it slow.

The most important advice I have come to find on this forum and echoed by many is that this journey “is not a race, it is a marathon”.

Good luck, and welcome!

Hi James

This is Vas I am 39yrs but was graduated from alternative medicine 10yrs again my ambition is firing back to go for medical.I would like to keep in touch with you for the information.

Vas

Update :

I received a job offer in another state in a college town. The pay is more than I make now and only 40 hour work weeks. I have spoken with the admissions department at the university and I can get in-state tuition because of moving for a job and not just to attend school. The down side to all this is having to move 190 miles away from my sons. I have a very difficult decision to make and have to make it this week. Wish me luck.

Eesh… our oldest daughter lives with her mom about 185 miles away from us. She’s 14 now, and it’s been about 8 years of heartbreaking distance.

We meet her mom at the halfway point every other weekend, and she spends her whole summer with us, as well as a week in the fall, spring, and winter (her school goes year round, so she has 2 week breaks in the fall/spring/winter–she spends half of each with us.)

It’s doable, yes. But I see the pain in my husband’s eyes because he has to miss the high school volleyball games or softball games, etc. He can’t be as present in her life as he wants to be, and it kills him. Just not being able to see her for days at a time can tear him to pieces.

He once drove 6 hours round trip just to dance one song with her at an 8th grade dance (they had a father/daughter song)…

You do what you have to do, but there are aching consequences to that kind of separation. It’s not something I would wish on any parent. I wish you peace with your choice either way!

I went out to dinner with my wife tonight, and we discussed my job offer. She agrees with me that I need to do what I have wanted for a long time and what will make me happy. I am going to take the job and make the plunge into this with all I have. It is time to put the FUD behind me, and “suck it up”.

So have you moved , Are you saying admissions department of PostBaccalareate or med school ?

Here we have to support each other for our information and emotions.Donot worry as you have your sons I have my foreign programs to get transcripts.How it matters about the hurdles they will be there but we should move with stronger and our happier goal.By the way I am going through one book called career chase at chaotic age By Dr.Helen Harkeness which talks abt financial,real mind for changing career and all which is giving me good insights and great abt.

Please do keep in touch seems we both are in same pace.

Have you enquired about osteopathic med schools how they are recoginized for residency.

Vas

Vas

I moved a month ago and it has been tough being away from my boys. It was a decision I had to make for me and I don’t regret it. I make the drive to see them every other weekend which isn’t enough but I will take what I can get. It will just take time for the hurt/guilt to dissolve and for me to adjust.

I start summer semester next month in a DIY post-bac and I am excited to say the least. The long journey begins. I am also going to start volunteering at the local hospital in the evenings.