45-year-old pre-med

I went to the website for New England Online Sciences. I do have a few concerns if I went this route. 1) Are they fully accredited and count toward the pre-reqs. 2) What kind of material do they teach (Intro or Full) 3) On the transcript does it say Online Course. If it does then it would really hurt your chances.

This would be a great option, however if the medical school knew these were online classes I believe they would have an issue with it.

HI,

The General Chemistry Series is needed as a prereq for Organic Chem. Having taken both, I do not know how you would have the knowledge to take Organic without the first year of Chem. It builds off of the first year and I do not see how you can take the classes together… I got straight A’s because I really understood each class before I proceeded to the next. I would throw out a serious “CAUTION” and say No. Now after your fist Biology class, then zoology and botany can easily be taken together. THey are separate classes and you do not need to understand one before the other.

Hi Thomas i live in dallas and in this journey too. How can we PM and connect.

Well I have talk to a few schools that have reccommended the UNE program to me. When I was looking into distance learning programs, many addmissions staff pointed me towarded UNE. It is an accredited program, but not sure if your transcript will state online or not…that is something to evaluate. I have also seen online science courses at Georgia Perimeter College. It is a small two year college, but it is very inexspensive and if med schools accept cc credits, this may be an option as well. I am going the UNE route or I will take online at NCSU

Hi Dean and all. . .

I am here to say if you want it go for it. Five years or maybe more i started and did not move forward as I had work obligations to my physician colleague and put off my schooling. I am now 5 years older, 5 years behind, and still not happy with the fact that i could be entering med school by now! I had a million excuses and now I realize I was so foolish. I am a NP now and currently enrolled in a DNP program and totally not happy. It is not enough for me to get my doctorate in nursing–in fact I have little interest in research and all the bull that is involved in academia. I think currently I will finish my coursework this semester and try to figure out a plan. Dean and others: good for you. . .don’t turn back and move ahead. Maybe i will see you at the end

You made my day. I’m 47 and working on my bachelors and now decide I’d like to go to med school. Already raised my kids. Really thought I was nuts. Thanks so much.

Julie

hi julie…where do you stand in your journey? just curious as it seems we are in the same place.

Hi Dean,

Just saw your postings (although a couple of years late!) and I am really inspired.

Are you now in med school?

Kier

Welcome, KierC -

Hope Dean answers as I’ve not heard from him in a long time. I’m a 3rd year student myself now. Welcome to OPM!

Kate

Curious…has anyone had any problems or heard of anyone whom have had problems with online pre-meds with online labs?

I know that some transcripts don’t differentiate between online or in-class courses however, has anyone had or heard of a medical school dig that deeply into an applicant?

Because I am capital O in the OPM I haven’t really been mobile for the past few years - ie I have lived in the same county for 20 years.

I just presume adcom’s can look at my transcripts and my address and figure out if I took the classes in residence or not. And more than a few universities are so well known that I think you would have to be poorly informed adcom to not now about them . . . Ashford, Phoenix, UNE all come to mind.

I took online course for electives and community college courses through Gen Chem. Organic, Physics, Microbio, Cell Bio, Bio Chem, Calc are all either taken at my 4 year or planned for next year.

I am looking at overcoming some past stuff along with age so I didn’t want to give the future adcoms anything else to hang a rejection on so I avoided sciences at a CC or advanced online classes. However, some fairly good universities have online courses that show up the same on the transcript. If I lived closed enough to U of Maryland or UNC I would take their online classes.

As another option, it takes some digging to find out, but I have managed each semester to take at least one of my major electives where the professor records and broadcasts the lecture. An upper level physio this semester, biochem next semester. Biochem is even set up so you can turn in assignments electronically and only come in for the exams.

Good luck,

Crepitus

Due to schedule issues, I completed a portion of my pre-requisites in online courses. I was pre-PA and got everything okay’ed before I took the course, but it helped out schedule-wise (I’m a paramedic on 24 hour shifts).

I did my chem sequence in a year (tough, but doable if you commit to little life outside school in the summer). I took the Gen Chem through the Iowa Community College Consortium https://secure.ecollege.com/iowacc/index.learn?act…

(online class, but you purchase your at home lab kit) and am currently taking physics there. I took org chem at Drake University online in the summer but be prepared to do LOTS of independent work. https://oias2.drake.edu/pls/PROD/bwckschd.p_get_cr…

University of New England has biochem and other approved science courses. Many of my courses were retakes so I already had a halfway decent lab technique, but the independent work at home makes you stand on your own lab technique without an instructor or lab assistant, so be sure you are okay with that scenario.

It is totally do-able! Good luck on your journey!

Deb