49 Years Young and Want to Go to Med School

Just need some support from anyone in my shoes. I’m a 49 years old software engineer wanting to go to med school (always wanted to go to med school). I’m tired of corporate life and since I spent the majority of the last two years with my parents terminally ill in hospitals, my hunger for med school has increased. Any advice from someone my age attempting this feat? I’m going to basically put all my chips on the table for this.

Ed,

My advice is that YOU can do it! Also, there are multiple great success stories here from all diverse backgrounds. I would take an hour or so and read through these wonderful and encouraging stories to give you a better appreciation for how far many of these great people have come from.

If your worried about being the only one in your shoes, their stories should help defeat that notion. Best of luck to you in the future!!

Ed,

I’m 44 and am just starting my pre-reqs which may put me into a 2nd BA (Physiology) sometime in spring 2012.

Matriculation hopes for me: 2012

You are certainly not alone on here, and there are so many success stories to give you inspiration!

I say go for it…I had doubts about changing mid-undergrad at age 27 to pursue medical school…but reading all the stories here and doing a little research on my own, sealed the idea for me. Do what makes you happy, we only live once.

Don’t mean to rain on your parade, but just a word of caution - make sure you are only doing this because you have a passion for medicine and NOT because you are tired of corporate life. The latter can be remediated in several different ways.

If you end up pursuing medicine because you are tired of what you are doing, there is a fair chance that you will get tired/burnt out fairly quickly.

I am 40 years old and will be graduating in 2010 with my degree in biology. I will be starting my application process soon. I think we all can do it…it just matters how you sell yourself so to speak. I agree that you need to be deciding on a career that is something you want to do. I have worked as a PCT, Monitor Tech, and Unit Secretary for the past 11 years. I have worked in two teaching hospitals and decided on a career in medicine both from my experience with physicians and my desire to help people. I started to nursing school initially then decided that I should pursue my dream of being a doctor. Med school and residency are both going to be very difficult if your heart isn’t in it. That is one decision we all have to make. I feel that it is of the utmost importance to be completely dedicated to this career. Good Luck to you and don’t let age get in the way!!!

All I can say from past experiences is make sure you are doing this because you have a passion for medicine and neverending knowledge. It is not a career choice. It is a life choice. There will be many days you feel burnt and at the point of breaking. If you haven’t shadowed a doctor, DO IT! Experience the wonder of the Dr Patient relationship. Find a surgeon who will let you scrub in, volunteer in the ICU or a pediatric hospital. Even it if it is for a couple of hours on a weekend. If you leave feeling with a pain from an deep unfulfilled desire, then you know it is right. I cannot go to a hospital without feeling an emptiness that I am not able to practice everyday. It is really an indescribable feeling, but that is the best I can do.

Medicine is a calling, not a career.