A Thank You and an Intro

This is just to tell all of you who post in the forums THANK YOU!!
These posts have helped me enormously. I and, from what I have read, just about everyone who has com to this site appreciate the time and effort all of you have taken to write your thoughts down. Of course a big thank you to Old Man Dave.
I look forward to posting on here and reading all of the future posts. Now a brief intro of myself since I plan to be on this site constantly.
I am in the younger range of non-trad pre-med students at only 25 going into my 4th semester undergrad. I spent 5 yrs in the Navy before moving back to Texas with my wife and 2 children. (lots of love to my wife for incouraging my return to school although maybe she is just a masochist.)
again thank you and see yall around.
dry.gif I used to be indecisive…but now i’m not sure.

Welcome seacj77!
What did you do in the Navy? I’m from Texas originally as well and spent 3 years in our great Navy as a Signalman (aka skivvy waver).
It’s great to see you have your wife’s support. That will be sooooo important!
We look forward to your posts too! laugh.gif

Well I was a machinist mate on the USS Anchorage LSD-36 (the hallucinagenic navy as we called it or anchotraz…take your pick.) Thanks for the welcome and thanks again to the website administrators for moving my post to the correct area. (lol a little new at this.)

Welcome seacj77,
I'm on the older side of the non traditional pre-med student and I was in the Navy 1975 to 79, tail end of Vietnam is when I went in, Hospital Corpsman, and I am now an RN.

This is a great web site, glad you found us.

QUOTE (seacj77 @ Jan 15 2003, 11:24 PM)
Well I was a machinist mate on the USS Anchorage LSD-36 (the hallucinagenic navy as we called it or anchotraz...take your pick.) Thanks for the welcome and thanks again to the website administrators for moving my post to the correct area. (lol a little new at this.)

Hi there,
My fiance was a machinest mate (went to nuc school) while he was in the Navy. He ran the nuclear power plant on the aircraft carrier Lexington and the munitions ship Nitro. He said it was interesting that they parked the ship a mile outside the harbor at Sandy Hook, NJ because of all the explosives. He learned so much but was glad to get out of the Navy. Ended up going to University of West Virginia and studying Journalism and Early Childhood Education. Works with computers now.
My best friend in medical school was a West Point grad who served in Operation Desert Storm. She spent 10 years in Operations and Logistics at the Pentagon before bugging out of the Army with the rank of Major. Went back in upon graduation from medical school and is now a General Surgery resident at Eisenhower in Augusta, GA. She said that medical school was far more extreme than West Point but I find that difficult to believe after I watched a documentary on life as a cadet. I'll take medical school any day though commanding a tank looked like fun. She is fluent in Arabic.
I think you are going to find that serving in the armed forces is good prep for the discipline that you must have to get through medical school. It takes discipline as opposed to brain power. None of the courses are particularly difficult, its the volume.
It's been great reading all of the paths that we have taken to medical school. We non-trads are a diverse bunch of folks! rolleyes.gif
Natalie

Always glad to welcome anyone who has served his/her country. Army, 91D, 88-92.
Jack