Advanced Organic Chemistry?

I was talking to my Organic II professor the other day and she recommended I take Advanced Organic: Polyfunctional Systems. She said we weren’t going to be able to cover carboxylic acids, which would be on the MCAT and that I should therefore take the course.

The catalog entry is the following:

Chemistry of polyfunctional compounds, condensed aromatic and heterocyclic systems, electrocyclic reactions and molecular rearrangements.

I am getting a B in Organic currently (much to my chagrin) and could get an A in the class if I can manage to ace the final. My labs are solid, so they would probably being it up to a B+ (maybe? My 2 tests have been an 81 and 82).

What do you guys think?

The one thing that shocks me is that you aren’t into carboxylic acids in OChem 2. That was early in the semester for us.

I would say try to learn the stuff on your own rather than taking a class that you don’t need.

• BaileyPup Said:
The one thing that shocks me is that you aren't into carboxylic acids in OChem 2. That was early in the semester for us.

I would say try to learn the stuff on your own rather than taking a class that you don't need.

My school is kinda crappy. We didn't even get through Alcohols in OChem 1 so we had to start covering that in Ochem II, which is why, I think, we didn't get through carboxylic acids.

Our chain went: Alcohols => Spec (we skipped fragmentation in mass spec and C13 NMR which both worry me ) => Ethers, Epoxides, Sulfides => Aromatics => Ketones and Aldehydes.

Can you take biochem?

We are getting ALL the carboxylic acids you could want, enzymes, cycles, amino acids, glycolysis, TCA, ETC and more carboxylic acids than you could want.

I’ve checked over the EK books and other MCAT test prep materials for the bio section, and biochem is covering everything that ochem did not (and I’m not taking ochem II).

• Adoc2be Said:
Can you take biochem?

We are getting ALL the carboxylic acids you could want, enzymes, cycles, amino acids, glycolysis, TCA, ETC and more carboxylic acids than you could want.

I've checked over the EK books and other MCAT test prep materials for the bio section, and biochem is covering everything that ochem did not (and I'm not taking ochem II).

I'll be taking Biochem in the fall. Hopefully, they'll cover these same things (one can only hope given how this school has been utterly failing me).

Have you tried to get a syllabus from the biochem prof and matched it up to an MCAT prep book?

That might guide your decision process a little more…

My only concern would be that the advanced organic class would be MORE organic than you need, if that makes sense. And then it might take away from MCAT and other class studying. I would ask more about the class (i.e., workload, comparison to the regular organic, etc.) before jumping into it.

If it seems like taking the class is not an option, I agree with the other poster who recommended self-study on what you haven’t covered in class in terms of MCAT preparation. On the AAMC’s Web site, there is a list of all the topics covered by the MCAT (for each section), and you could match up what you’ve learned against that to see where you need to do some extra work.

Good luck deciding!

Grades are important too!

If you happen to struggle with it (Not saying that you will by any means! ), it may not be worth the hassle.