advice for the aging and undistinguished

Thanks once again, Sam. Ironically, the nursing school dean at your alma mater (if I’ve read your prior clues correctly) is the primary driving force behind this DNP push. She may or may not get her way in the end, but I just came to feel that it really wasn’t worth taking the risk of settling for less on the front end only to see it backfire spectacularly later on. The more I’ve looked into the matter, I’ve also become increasingly wary of the possibility of burning out in nursing; it seems like their patient loads are only getting heavier and they keep on getting told to do more with less (and do it faster!). I’m well aware that there’s stress in medicine, too, but I have to say I’ve never met any doctor who complains much about it, never mind says s/he regrets the career choice. By contrast, as another poster here (ihopetobeado2, I think?) has well noted, the nursing shortage we’ve heard so much about is probably fueled more by nurses who quit from burnout or related reasons than any other factor.

All things considered, I have to agree, Sam: There’s little to lose and potentially much to gain from choosing not to settle for less. As such, I’ve tweaked my spring schedule at my local CC to prepare for the premed curriculum, started the ball rolling for readmission to my alma mater (NIU) this fall, declared my intent to major in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, and set up a meeting with the premed advisor for next week. Full steam ahead, and I’m excited to get started. At worst, I’ll end up with a great job that’s in demand, pays well, and carries a near-zero burnout risk (medical technologist), and there’s a pretty fair chance that I’ll get to train for one of the world’s most noble, stimulating, challenging and rewarding professions. What’s not to like about it?

I often joke (rather too churlishly) about my “McDonald’s degrees,” but I take heart from the fact that, as another Web site for folks like us puts it, an English major with a 3.7 GPA actually has a better chance of gaining entry into med school than a Biochem major with a 3.2 GPA. As long as I keep busting the ol’ hump, I should be able to raise my current GPA even further, get strong grades in my prereqs, and score close to the mid-30s on the MCAT. Add in a weekend CNA gig, ample shadowing time, and some other solid backups, and I might just cut a pretty compelling profile for several AdComs.

Thanks again, Sam. I appreciate the feedback, man. And to all of my new OPM colleagues…Here’s to US!