Almost there....

It’s been a little while since I’ve posted (anything about me anyways)so thought I would share some good news…and ask a question or two.

The good news: Bio I,II Gen chem I,II, Physics I

all A’s and completed. In the fall I’ve got Physics II and Organic I, in the Spring I’ve got Organic II and MCAT self prep. And then…applications will be submitted. I’m excited! I’ve been on this road for a year or two now, but it seems like the time has flown.

Questions: I downloaded an online PDF version of the AMCAS GPA calculator. (Haven’t done AACOMAS yet). From my understanding, they calculate freshman as 0-29 hours, sophmore 30-59, junior 60-89, and senior 90+. Is this correct? Also, I didn’t include hours for “Withdrawal” as my institution didn’t calculate them as affecting my GPA. Is this o.k.? And finally, I had so many classes listed as a senior I ran out of Excel lines and had to move a grade “up a line.” Has anyone else ever had this problem, and if so, how do you handle it?

The Bad news: Undergrad GPA 3.29 BCPM 2.0 (only had two math classes in undergrad with a “B and a D” and general science.

More good news. Post Bacc GPA 3.8 BCPM 4.0

I also took precalc and calculus and got A’s in both.

AO including post bacc ended up at “3.5”

BCPM at “3.7”

Anyways, I’m excited! Also, if anyone can shed some light on my AMCAS calculator questions I would appreciate it.

Best of luck to everyone as we gear up to have a successful Fall and edge ever closer to the dream!

Dan

I definitely think that all the news is good, Dan! What you’re calling the ‘bad news’ isn’t even horrible…especially given how nicely it works with your new story (a.k.a. 4.0 on pre-reqs) to show people that things have changed…to show them how much more dedicated you are now, etc. It’s all good! Just a small bump in a greater journey.

It’s so hard to believe that we are right on the edge. So close, we can smell it. These next 2 semesters are going to fly by! Let’s make sure we find ways to enjoy the journey (or at least not go crazy along the way!)

Best of luck, and congratulations on all your great success thus far!

Hey Dan, I think your situation is looking pretty good. Awesome grades on the post-bac work. For the frosh/soph/jr/sr hours, those are correct. Of course, if you took 31 or 32 hours your frosh year then that’s still considered freshman; they won’t split a class’s hours. So really those hours are just guidelines. If you don’t identify them correctly on AMCAS then they’ll just change it for you (that’s what they did for a few of my classes).

I don’t know your answer about the withdrawal so perhaps someone else can answer that.

Your overall GPA is all right and your BCPM GPA is looking good. You’ll probably have to explain your low undergrad GPA in your primaries and secondaries, so prepare for that.

Also, have you thought about taking some upper level BIO courses? If you do well, that would further strengthen your upward trend. Not sure if that’s possible with your schedule.

• Guitardan77 Said:
The good news: Bio I,II Gen chem I,II, Physics I all A's and completed... More good news. Post Bacc GPA 3.8 BCPM 4.0

I also took precalc and calculus and got A's in both.

Dan, that is *so* great! Especially the incomprehensible A in Physics You are totally on track for next year!.

• Guitardan77 Said:
Questions: I downloaded an online PDF version of the AMCAS GPA calculator. (Haven't done AACOMAS yet). From my understanding, they calculate freshman as 0-29 hours, sophmore 30-59, junior 60-89, and senior 90+. Is this correct?

I'm not sure what's officially correct, but having had such a weird background (at 3 CCs intermittently over several years, 5 consecutive years at university) I was advised to do the following:

Anything prior to my 1st year at uni, AND my 1st year there, I listed as freshmen. Everything else into whichever year it was during my time at university, and both 4th and 5th year as senior. Doing it that way may fix your Excel listing problem.

Carrie, thanks for your support and kind words, we’re almost there!

Shawn, I’m happy things are looking so good for you, great job! I’m going to take biochem during my glide year, can’t squeeze it in until then. Thanks for your comments!

Pixie, thank you, sounds like things are going great for you too! I’m happy for you. Hopefully Carrie and I will be next year where you and Shawn are this year!

• Guitardan77 Said:
Hopefully Carrie and I will be next year where you and Shawn are this year!

You WILL! You're both doing so great!

Keep plugging, Dan! You’ve got what it takes!(frankly I’m already here in med school and I was bit awed talking to you in Vegas - I have no question you will excel)

Kate

Sounds like you are right on track, Dan.

Keep it up. You’ll be a “shoe in” for med school.