An Indroduction

Hello everyone!!! I am so happy to find this forum. My name is Heather, I am 31 years old, and I have and associates degree in nursing. I have wanted to be a Dr since I was very young, but listened to all those who told me I couldn’t do it.

I started back to college this semester to get prerequisites to go for my BSN, but my former aspirations have never left. I decided just last week that I am going to go for it!!! I’m not interested in the same discipline I was as a child/teenager. I now want to be a forensic pathologist.

I have a decision to make, however, and I was hoping for a little input from those who have been there or who are there. I am trying to decide if I should just finish my BSN and then take the core science courses I still need to apply to med school, or should I forgo my BSN and go for a bachelor’s in Biology? I have an appt with a student advisor on Wednesday, but I was hoping for some input.

I’m going to address this, speaking as a nurse-midwife, with a Masters of Science in Nursing, who taught at an associates degree school of nursing.

You already have the RN. Getting a BSN would make sense if you definately planned to stay in nursing. Getting a degree in biology will be far more valuable to you in preparation for medical school. It will allow you the opportunity to take more high level biology courses which will be helpful once you are in med school. As well, it will, I think, more clearly demonstrate that you want to pursue a career in medicine, rather than nursing.

The courses for getting a BSN after already having an associates degree in nursing focus on nursing theory, and public health. The public health might be helpful in the long run in medicine if that were the field you were interested in. But you would spend a lot of time on nursing lab credits that will help you, not at all, in your medical pursuits.

That’s my personal opinion based on the course content (which I’m very familiar with) and on what my first year medical school classes were like (and 2nd year, so far). Don’t know if the admission committees would see it the same way, but it seems to me it would be better to avoid looking as if you still aren’t sure whether you want to be a nurse or a doctor…and that’s how a BSN might be perceived, since you do not need it in order to get clinical experience.

Kate

Hi Heather,

Just over a year ago, I was taking prereqs for a BSN program. I thought that’s what I wanted to do,but, my heart wasn’t really in it. I applied to OSU College of Nursing with a 3.72 gpa and twenty years experience as a paramedic. I was denied admission and they don’t tell you why other than “the applicant pool was very competitive”. (right, as if an 18 year old right out of high school is better qualified) They said I could apply again the following year. I just chuckled and said no thanks.

I went straight over to the College of Arts and Sciences and became a Biology major (Pre-Med). It was at this moment I felt relieved and confident I was doing the right thing. Our Biology program covers every prereq for medical school. I’m sure it’s the same at other schools, but you’ll need to check.

Welcome Heathera!

Welcome Heather!! I agree with what Kate said about not pursuing an RN but rather getting your BS in biology. This will show adcoms that you can handle the upper level bio classes. However, as long as you have the pre reqs, you can get your degree in anything you want.