another EMT/paramedic topic

i can’t say it enough, how much i appreciate all your help… i have to go tomorrow to the EMS training center for bergen county here in nj to pay for the course - i think it starts on the 22nd…

it is exciting to think that this june i will be providing a service to the community that it really needs - plus getting some invaluable experience and clinical contact in the process.

and just in case someone missed it - i will be using this emt-b certification to serve the community for the next year and a half AT LEAST…

• The Truth Said:
i can't say it enough, how much i appreciate all your help... i have to go tomorrow to the EMS training center for bergen county here in nj to pay for the course - i think it starts on the 22nd...

it is exciting to think that this june i will be providing a service to the community that it really needs - plus getting some invaluable experience and clinical contact in the process.

and just in case someone missed it - i will be using this emt-b certification to serve the community for the next year and a half AT LEAST...

You're very welcome. Hell, just six months will give you far more experience than most pre-meds walking into the door to med school but yeah at least a year will look better "on paper" and will provide more experience anyway. When you do Nat Reg just remember everything boils down to BSI/scene safety and ABCs. you'll probably learn to hate all of those.

Sheesh, I’m getting happier by the minute our EMS pays for training.

woops, double post.

yeahhh i opted to pay for the training rather than “eat up” a limited number of volunteer training waivers… but classes start this upcoming thursday! very excited for it…

but as i look at the program (which is touted as one of the best in nj, not that it even matters because it was done so by the people trying to get me to take the course), it seems that tim, you are right… the material is painfully simple when compared to what we get in college. but i’m not here for the mechanics of being an emt (assuming they don’t teach the “why” behind the action), i am here to get hands on and learn something that books cannot teach you.

For what it’s worth, I believe you’re on the right track. Don’t get discouraged by anyone challenging your reasons to pursue EMS work. If you’re in the field for a year or so before moving on, that’s fine. EMS administrators have been aware of high turnover rates at the EMT-Basic level for a very long time. As a former training supervisor, I would have been overjoyed to work with a new hire as educated and ambitious as you!