Another Newbie

I'm also new to OPM and have started my long trek to doctordom. I am an airline pilot for NWA but have been considering medicine for quite awhile now. I took the April MCAT and am eagerly awaiting scores while I finish up Organic Chem in summer school.
At 33 with 2 year old twins and an RN as a wife, this represents a rather formidable challenge, but thankfully my wife is very supportive. Kudos to the group of folks who came up with this website idea. Nothing better than networking with those whose aspirations and goals mirror your own.

Welcome aboard! (I’ve always wanted to say that to an airline pilot.wink.gif)
It sounds like you’re well on your way to application if you’ve taken the MCAT already. Are you applying this year, or next?
I’m 39, just started prereqs, and won’t take the MCAT until next year.

I know someone who works for NWA as a pilot. First name is Bill and he lives near me here in Aventura Fla. wonder if you know him.
Anyway, good luck waiting for the scores and best wishes getting a seat.

Welcome from a fellow newbie!

Welcome to all of our new members!
If you don't find the answers to your questions on the forums, just ask, and someone will get an answer for you! As one who has been a member for a couple of years now, I can tell you that this organization has supported me through periods of self-doubt, bad times, and through the road to being a doc. I am applying this year, and credit OPM and its members in keeping me on the straight path to med school. I hope to be one saying that I got in next year in Denver. I wish our new members the best, and hope you will continue to post, and find a way to support OPM.
Kathy

I know a few Bills at NWA. You'd have to find out what a/c he was on. I flew the DC9, so if he wasn't on that I probably wouldn't know him. NWA has over 6000 pilots so it's a pretty big tent.

Welcome 727capt!!!

Samenewme,
I am applying for the August 04 cycle. I was a biology major in 1992 when I graduated. All I really needed was the 2nd half of Organic Chem to complete the prerequisites most med-schools require. I took the MCAT in April after self-studying the ExamKrackers materials and Audio CDs. Don't know yet how I did…3 more weeks to go on the scores. This fall I'll be taking Biochem, Physiology and Neurology. I haven't decided what to do about the spring, although it will probably entail Calculus since I blew it off way back when.

727CAPT,
Unless you need calculus for another course you are taking, to complete a school's requirement, or for your own personal enjoyment, you don't need to take it. Otherwise, I would recommend taking classes such as histology, microbiology, embryology, genetics, etc. that will give you a good foundation for what you will see in med school.
Just a thought,
Tara

Thanks Tara,
The only reason I have even considered retaking Calc is due to a poor grade 13 years ago. I would love to take Histology if only my university offered it next spring. Unfortunately they only offer it every other year, so I'm reduced to trying to figure out what to take from whats available. Embryology is on the menu, though, so I may end up taking that. I've already had genetics, and microbiology, so I'm rapidly running out of undergrad courses I can take.

QUOTE (727CAPT @ Jun 5 2003, 03:46 PM)
Thanks Tara,
The only reason I have even considered retaking Calc is due to a poor grade 13 years ago. I would love to take Histology if only my university offered it next spring. Unfortunately they only offer it every other year, so I'm reduced to trying to figure out what to take from whats available. Embryology is on the menu, though, so I may end up taking that. I've already had genetics, and microbiology, so I'm rapidly running out of undergrad courses I can take.

Hi there,
If you find that you are running out of undergraduate courses, try something on the graduate level such as physiology or biochemistry. Those classes will keep you occupied and help with the transition to medical student. They are also pretty good indicators that you can handle a medical school curriculum as well as a DC-9. smile.gif Good luck and welcome to OPM.
Natalie (alas, I only fly the Cessna on Flight Simulator) cool.gif

Thanks Dr Belle,
A graduate level physiology or biochem course would be great if the university in my home town offered it. If I don't matriculate somewhere in the Aug 04 class, I will apply to a 1 yr. graduate program to continue my education.
If you really like that sim you ought to head out to the airport and get a familiarization flight with an instructor. But I warn you: once it gets in your blood, it's there to stay!