(another) question on coursework and unemployment benefits

Hi guys, it’s me again :).

Sorry for this long post, however I was planning out my courses for the fall and spring semester and really needed some advice and information on both course work and finances planning:

In summary, I am currently 27 years old, single, graduated from Michigan State University in 2003 with a dual-major in Electrical and Computer Engineering. I had taken Biology I, Physics I, Physics II, Chemistry I, and Chemistry II back in my undergrad years (1998-2000), however wasn’t focused enough due to personal matters and received the following grades in the main science courses back then:

Biology I: 3.0

Physics I: 2.5

Chemistry I: 2.5

Chemistry II: 1.5 (ouch!!)

Physics II: 3.5

Calculus I: 2.5

Calculus II: 2.0

The next three years I finally buckled down with my core Engineering courses and got my overall GPA to a 3.0 when I graduated.

Onto the Post-bacc program which I started in January of this year, I started to retake the above courses and have done this so far:

Winter 2009 (started this past January:)

Biology I (4 credits:) 4.0

Physics I (4 credits:) 4.0

Biology I Lab (1 credit:) 3.3

--

Overall GPA first semester: 3.92

I also have planned as follows:

Summer 2009 currently taking:

Chemistry I with Lab (5 credits:) 4.0 so far

Chemistry II with Lab (5 credits:) Planned for the second summer session

Planned for Fall 2009 (Sept. - Dec.:)

Organic Chemistry I (4 credits)

Biology II (4 credits)

Planned for Winter 2010 (Jan. - April 2010.:)

Organic Chemistry II (4 credits)

Organic Chemistry Lab (2 credits)

Genetics (4 credits possibly if time permits!!)

Plan to take the MCAT in April or early summer 2010 and try to apply for med school in summer/fall 2010 to try to gain admission for the 2011 year.

I just have the few following questinos:

1.) Is the coursework I have planned above enough to try and get into medical school, especially given my previous poor grades?? The above coursework more than fulfills the Medical school requirements I was looking at (Wayne State University,) on their website. However, I was worried since I read on many posts that higher level courses, especially such as Biochemistry and Human Anatomy, are highly recommended. My main concern is that Biochemistry is NOT offered at my Post-bacc university during the summer, and since Organic Chemistry is a pre-requisite for this, I would have to wait until Fall 2010 to take this course which would put me out-of-the-picture for 2011 medical school admissions.

Would it be ok for medical school admissions if I maintained this high GPA in the above coursework without taking Biochemistry or more higher-level coursework, and did exceptional (hoping to) on the MCAT?? What are your recommendations? Also, I am not planning on taking Physics II since I had already received a 3.5 gpa back in it back in my undergrad years. Is that a good idea?

2.) I was also worried about finances. Currently I've been ok as I was still working full-time Engineering while taking the post-bacc courses this past semester and have been lucky because my work allows me the flexibility to take these day-time classes (I pretty much make up my own hours.) I also have enough money saved to more than cover the needed tuition for the rest of the post-bacc courses.

However, there is a good chance I may be getting laid-off at the end of June (I live in Detroit and getting hit by the automotive market :....) I have already registered for the Organic Chemistry I and the Biology II classes in the Fall semester, which are both during the day/late afternoon, for a total of 8 credits.

I am wondering though, if I get laid-off in June, will I be able to claim Michigan unemployment benefits, because I am taking these classes part-time?? I have read mixed answers to this question online and was looking for a definitive response. Some people said yes because I was technically working full-time before the layoff and on taking part-time classes, however others mentioned that if any classes are during the day then no since unemployment benefits require you to be able to get a new job during the day that won't interfere with the classes. Do I have to report to the state that I am taking part-time classes inorder to claim unemployment benefits??

I had a friend last year who got laid-off and claimed 10 months of FULL unemployment while doing a road-trip/hitchhiking tour from North America ----> Central America ----> South America for the entire 10 months (he didn't even try to apply for a single job.) It would be RE-DICULOUS if he was able to claim full unemployment benefits while doing THAT, and they won't give me anything after getting laid-off for trying to further my career and help the economy in the future (I heard Michigan will have a severe shortage of physicians by 2020…. :).)

Sorry for the many questions, but I would appreciate any advice on the two issues from anyone in similar shoes!!!! Thank you!!

Have you contacted the school’s financial aid department? They should have the answer specific to your state. Maddux31 is from Michigan, he might have an idea on this question. Maddux where are you?

Hi Skysurf,

Well, I would definitely folloow Kimberlys advice about contacting financial aid, but as far as I am aware, you should have no problem in regards to unemployment. Since your scheduled hours are for after work hours, it isn’t like you would not be available to work if an opportunity comes available.

Again, check with your FA office, they might have a better suggestion. Also, if there is no reason to volunteer this information if it isn’t being asked.

Skysurf!

I have no idea how to answer the financial questions! Like guys above, I’d suggest talking to financial aid or someone who specializes in unemployment.

Congratulations on doing so well in your prerequisites during the last and current semester. Keep up the good work and you should be in a good shape when you start applying. One more comment about that - you said you are planning to apply for med school during summer/ fall 2010. You should be applying during SPRING/ SUMMER 2010. Ideally you should send your application in June. If you wait until the fall, you’ll be in a huge disadvantage. 1st - it will take much longer for them to verify your application, 2nd - most of the schools have rolling admission and many of their spots might be already taken by the time your application is processed. You don’t have to have your MCAT scores before you apply. You can send in your application before that, and they will start working on verifying it, and once your scores arrive you’ll be ready to go.

Unless a school you are particularly interested requires advanced classes like biochemistry, you really don’t have to take them. Many people do, but many don’t. So don’t feel like you have to take these classes. If the time and finances allow for this and you feel like taking them, go for it. It’s perfectly OK to work on these courses during your application year.

Hope it helps,

Kasia

• madkasia Said:
Skysurf!

One more comment about that - you said you are planning to apply for med school during summer/ fall 2010. You should be applying during SPRING/ SUMMER 2010. Ideally you should send your application in June. If you wait until the fall, you'll be in a huge disadvantage. 1st - it will take much longer for them to verify your application, 2nd - most of the schools have rolling admission and many of their spots might be already taken by the time your application is processed. You don't have to have your MCAT scores before you apply. You can send in your application before that, and they will start working on verifying it, and once your scores arrive you'll be ready to go.

Kasia

Whoops, I think you meant that if you want to enter in Fall 2010, you would actually need to apply this year (2009), not 2010. With AAMCAS and AACOMAS starting their application season within the next few weeks, you would actually need to have your MCAT taken and most if not all of your prereqs completed and transcripts forwarded.

BTW, OP, I was looking at your upcoming schedule, don't forget to schedule Physics II...you need a full year of physics.

I think skysurf is applying for 2011, so s/he should submit the application in 2010. I just stressed that it should be done as early as possible after application opens, not waiting until the fall.

Thanks guys, your answers helped a lot!! Just a follow up though, Kriss17, you mentioned that I should schedule Physics 2 in my upcoming coursework as well??

I had decided to not re-take Physics II since I had already taken both Physics I and Physics II during my undergrad in Engineering (Physics I in fall 1999 and Physics II in spring 2000.) The reason why I re-took Physics I this past semester was because I recieved a 2.5 in the original class and wanted to improve on the grade (and did by getting a straight 4.0 in it after re-taking it :).)

However I was not planning on re-taking Physics II since I had received a 3.5 in the class when I took it originally during my undergrad. Is that ok, or would you suggest that I retake Physics II as well??

I honestly thought it would be pointless to re-take it since I had already done well on it, although I don’t know if Med schools will look at the fact that it was nine years ago and consider that as a negative factor? Should I re-take Physics II (I’d really rather not to be honest since it would just seem to be a waste of money and time?) Any suggestions?? Thanks again!!

• skysurf Said:
Thanks guys, your answers helped a lot!! Just a follow up though, Kriss17, you mentioned that I should schedule Physics 2 in my upcoming coursework as well??

I had decided to not re-take Physics II since I had already taken both Physics I and Physics II during my undergrad in Engineering (Physics I in fall 1999 and Physics II in spring 2000.) The reason why I re-took Physics I this past semester was because I recieved a 2.5 in the original class and wanted to improve on the grade (and did by getting a straight 4.0 in it after re-taking it :).)

However I was not planning on re-taking Physics II since I had received a 3.5 in the class when I took it originally during my undergrad. Is that ok, or would you suggest that I retake Physics II as well??

I honestly thought it would be pointless to re-take it since I had already done well on it, although I don't know if Med schools will look at the fact that it was nine years ago and consider that as a negative factor? Should I re-take Physics II (I'd really rather not to be honest since it would just seem to be a waste of money and time?) Any suggestions?? Thanks again!!

Of course, I'm sorry...I must have missed that...I had thought that you were taking all of your prereqs and forgot that...but having taken it and having down well, why retake it?!

Besides you'll be busy enough with your upcoming schedule...best of luck!