Another question on pre-reqs

Hello.

I’m getting ready to make my plan and register for classes in the fall. All I lack at this point is Biology, Organic Chemistry, and upper level Biology.

I have a question regarding my undergrad Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus. I’m an engineer, and I got my B.S. in 2002 and my M.S. in 2004. My pre-med advisor says I lack a second semester of Chemistry laboratory (my school only made us take one semester of lab) and that a med school will be picky about this. Ok, so I can take another lab, no problem.

This is when I took everything else:

Chem 1 and lab Fall 1998 Grade A

Chem 2 Spring 1999 Grade A

Physics 1 and lab Spring 1999 Grade A

Physics 2 and lab Fall 2000 Grade B

Calculs 1, 2, and 3, Spring 1998, Fall 1998, Spring 1999, all A’s (minor in math also with many more upper level classes)

All of these courses are from a very-well respected 4 year university.

Is a committee going to think these pre-reqs are too old to count? I use calulus and physics every day in my job. Or, can I just go back to school and take the Biology and Orgo and Chem 2 lab and kick butt and be ok?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Tracia

This is a good question for the dean of admissions at a medical school. I have pre-reqs from 1995 and the medical schools took them. Double check to make sure

• Tracia Said:
Or, can I just go back to school and take the Biology and Orgo and Chem 2 lab and kick butt and be ok?

As Gabe says, the only way to be sure is to call a couple of medical school admissions offices and see what they say.

But my gut feeling is that you'll be fine with your current courses; you're going to take bio and orgo now, so you'll be very current with your life sciences, and you use the physical science stuff in your job anyway.

Good luck!