Another semester under my belt!

I has been somewhat crazy, being back in school after all these years, but somehow I managed to squeeze another 4.0 out of my butt. I only took 8 credits and no science cores, so the course load was pretty low, but with a wife and a full time job, even that was taxing!

My wife just graduated with her MS in microbiology, so we are hoping she gets a solid job soon and I can tune down my work to focus more on school; I bit off a bit more than usual for spring with 15 credits… They are all intro-level for the most part but I was wondering what you guys would think about what I enrolled for. I took on 19 credits worth but I was planning on dropping one and maybe worrying about it in the summer -

Bio 1

Chem 1

Physics 1

Abnormal Psychology

Sophomore Rhetoric / Critical Writing / English / etc

Thanks for the heads up I keep wanting to take on all 5 classes at once, but baby steps… Have to keep reminding myself quality over quantity.

Too much. Especially if you are working.

Three labs = at least 30 hours of homework and write-ups, let alone actual lab time.

I’d take chem/physics, hold off on bio until next term. Chemistry underscores all biology - if you firmly grasp it, bio is far easier.

Congrats on your GPA, keep up the good work.

I’m also a firefighter/paramedic and work full time. I’m almost done with only orgo II and the MCAT left to go this semester.

I recommend taking two science classes with labs at a time. I wouldn’t do more than this, it would just be overwhelming if you work full time. Thankfully, I’ve been able to get in some really good study time on the job which has allowed me to do well and still maintain some semblance of a life.

Keep your GPA high and focus on learning the material well. This is much more important than finishing quickly!

Good luck,

Dan

oh i apologize for not completely explaining: I am not taking chem lab, I already took it in 2004 and got a good grade but I didnt do so hot in the lecture. It wasnt because I was incapable, it was because I was a lazy, unmotivated $#@%$^ Besides, teh lab was way more fun so I actually showed up for those classes

I also get plenty of study time at work, I sit around a good amount of the day and I listen to TTC audiobooks, do verbal reasoning passages, or, if necessary, do homework/study the classes I am currently enrolled in.

I agree with the others - taking three science classes is a pretty hefty load. I’ve done it, but I was a full-time student and didn’t have work to worry about. It also depends on your familiarity/comfort level with with science courses. If these are repeats for you, it might not be as much of an issue. But still, 19 credits is a lot! I’d consider bumping it down a bit. As we say around here, “this is a marathon, not a sprint.”

Good luck with the upcoming semester, and congrats on the 4.0!

• Guitardan77 Said:

I recommend taking two science classes with labs at a time. I wouldn't do more than this, it would just be overwhelming if you work full time. Thankfully, I've been able to get in some really good study time on the job which has allowed me to do well and still maintain some semblance of a life.

Dan

Best advice Ive heard yet! No sense in overloading yourself with classes to show you can somehow "hang" This will just burn you out quicker and potentially bring down your GPA. I'm speaking from experience. A common saying I've been reading on here, to which I strictly follow is, "Its a marathon, not a sprint"

Good words of wisdom my friend

I definitely do not plan on taking all 19 creds, that would be crazy!

I just REALY want to get my science cores started, since all other classes depend on them as pre-reqs.

I guess I can just take bio or chem or something in the summer; it would be faster at 8 weeks long and still give me a challenge, but lighten off this semester’s load. Thanks guys!

As an update:

I dropped Physics and kept the rest (seating me at 15 creds) And thus far holding the bar as the highest grade in all four of my classes!

So with the following getting checked off this semester I’m one step closer:

Organism-Level Bio

Chem1

English Lit

Abnormal Psychology

I think I am going to try and bang out a Cell Bio course and something fluffy in the summer, and leave Physics1 and Chem2 for the fall. Good call on not taking cell bio until you understand chem… I would probably be quite lost trying to understand the material! Animal behavior and plant diversity doesn’t need chem as much