Any comments from the experienced ones

Hello,
Any comment would be appreicated.
I have a 10 year old 2 somthing gpa. I was one of the unlucky folk who my gpa was affected by working in the family business (duty to family illnesses) and school, both full time. My post bach I was 3.7 till I was assulted, which brought my post bach to a 3.00. mcat 23.
I received 5 secondaries, 1 maybe, and 3 no’s from my 9 applications. While verifing my secondary applications with the schools one mentioned that my gpa was 2.54! ACCOMAS indicated a post bach of 3.00! I was told they would only look at the most recent work. What do you think. Is this just a game, or I have been misinformed? I guess what I’m looking for is just some reassurance…thanks!
movingon (steve)

Steve,
All medical schools will look at your comprehensive GPA (all your coursework) unless you go through one of those “fresh start” programs. Not all of them will give equal weight to current coursework and that from your distant past.
I think that you are correct in concentrating your efforts at osteopathic medical schools. Many such schools are more subjective in their evaluation of an applicant and can get a better feel for the potential someone has to be a good doctor outside of applying rigid formulas to sets of data.
If I were in your shoes, I would You take another semester or years worth of classes while reapplying and try and raise that 3.0 some. Personally, I think that would probably be more valuable than trying to retake the MCAT.

I would go a step further and say take a year of classes to pull up the GPA and THEN reapply. Most schools will look at a second application, but few will even look at a third.

Another thought - before reapplying, take time off to complete an MS or MA. Do so with a stellar GPA. And, even though your MCAT does not pose insurmountable hurdles, take time to focus your efforts, prepare & do your best on a retake.
Many programs will look favorably on an applicant w/ either a weaker GPA or MCAT - but very infrequently concede to overlook both. Furthermore, as succeeding in medical school & beyond will mandate the art of balancing life, academic & professional obligations - it can be uncertain how programs will view underperformance due to life problems. One view is obviously of success & perseverence in the face of adversity. However, another view they can take is that prudence might have dictated your dropping out of school until family issues had resolved in order to protect your academic record. How they “see” it will have much to do w/ have you present your situation in your PS.

Thanks for everyone’s advice.
Well, If all dosen’t go well this year I will reaply next. I will, however, consider a masters. I’ll probably go a one year anatomy or immunology.
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with a post bach certificate? I found a local medical school that offers a certificate in anatomy. It is a post bach degree, and is a one year version of the two year anatomy masters. Any thoughts??
henry

The best answer to that question would probably be from medical schools you’re interested in - perhaps those who’ve turned you down, in fact. Ask them if really exceptional performance in such a program would help put your application in a better light.
You’ll find lots of other threads on here about going back to schools for advice on how to make a stronger application. It’ll take a little digging, as there isn’t one pat phrase to search for, but people have gotten a lot of good information sometimes from such conversations.
The other side of this coin is to ask the school offering the certificate about their students, where they apply, how many get in. “Buyer beware,” of course, as they’ll want you to think that taking their certificate program is a sure ticket to admission and NO program can actually guarantee that. But dig around for more information about this program and see what you can find out that will help you decide.
Good luck!
Mary

Mary’s advice is right on. Contact the schools, ask them about your application, and get some feedback. The more detailed the response, of course, the better. You may find yourself hearing such things as “raise your gpa, retake the MCAT, get more clinical experience,” and that may all be true. However, if you can find an admissions representative who is willing to help you discover what are the “red flags” on your application – not just general comments – this will be of greatest value to you. You want to know what they liked about you, as well, because this enables you to highlight the positive elements of your application. The goal here is not to completely re-invent yourself, but to find out why a committeee chose not to offer you an interview, so you can give them a reason to offer you one the next time.

I got in with a 3.01 total GPA. I had a 2.98 undergrad and only a 3.11 Post Bac Pre-med. Three years ago University of Vermont has a set up with University of New England Osteopathic School where if you get a 3.00 in thier Post Bac you are guareenteed an interview and then are possibily accepted conditional on a 26 or higher on MCAT. I don’t know what it is know but many post bacc programs have a relationship with medical schools. Also don’t give up hope you can get in with mediocore grades.
Becky

LanskyB;
You are in where? What year are you? I infer that you may be in at NECOM…if so, then meet “Wild Bill” who will be starting at NECOM this fall.
CongratS!!!