Any EMTs?

Was wondering if anyone has had any success working as an EMT during pre-med. Because of similarities to my current job, I’m giving some thought to picking up an EMT-P certification to supplement living expenses while I am taking classes. Does anyone have any experiences, thoughts, or insights? Thanks.

I have a B license. I had considered going up to P, but decided it wouldn’t be worth the stress of carrying 6 extra credit hours for two years. As for working as an EMT while doing premed, it keeps me sane. I love it.

I am a Paramedic. Currently I work for a combination fire/ems agency. The only problem with paramedic work that I am running into is that they often run on a rotating shift schedule so it can be difficult to attend class full time. If you are only doing it part-time it is a great gig while going to school. I am actually having to go work as a tech so I can attend school, but I am still going to try and do part-time paramedic work to keep my skills up.

That being said do not take it lightly. With EMT-B and EMT-I you can get by on a couple month course to get you up to speed. However, if you decide to become a paramedic it is quite extensive and you really need experience. My drug box is quite large with some pretty powerful stuff in it. You can see everything a doctor might see in the hospital and you will have to manage it with the tools available on the bus. It is great experience to be able to run full codes by yourself and fix arrhythmias and airway issues. Just make sure you are ok with bad weather, adverse conditions, and lot’s of screaming. When you are on the side of the road upside down in a car trying to do a face to face intubation on a conscious patient with the family sitting there screaming at you, that is when you earn your money!

Good Luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I’m just a volunteer with our EMS unit. I do sit states next month for our first responder class though. I wonder if there are any first responder jobs out there I can do to get me out of McDonalds lol.

I’ve seriously considered it but most require EVOC and until I figure out if I have points from my accident in May, I don’t even know if I’m a candidate for EVOC training. I know OUR chief won’t let me drive the rigs but that’s because the accident happened right after I started with the unit.

• LC2Doc Said:
I'm just a volunteer with our EMS unit. I do sit states next month for our first responder class though. I wonder if there are any first responder jobs out there I can do to get me out of McDonalds lol.

I've seriously considered it but most require EVOC and until I figure out if I have points from my accident in May, I don't even know if I'm a candidate for EVOC training. I know OUR chief won't let me drive the rigs but that's because the accident happened right after I started with the unit.

Susan, what do you do as a volunteer? Are you an EMT?

As a first responder we are 60 hours shy of EMT-B. We assist the EMT but are not permitted to do case loads alone. I can do BLS, take vitals and call in things but at the very least an EMT must be present. If I arrive on scene first obviously I do what I can and hand things over to the first person more “qualified” than me.

I am not allowed to administer glucose or epi. That is reserved for EMT-B in our state. O2 is permissible though lol. I did just take a class that allows me to assist paramedics but I don’t feel very confident with anything but equipment. If they holler “HAND ME NARCAN QUICK!” I may just panic as everything in their box looks the same lol.

Don’t panic. Any good paramedic will be happy to teach. In fact that is one of my favorite parts of the job. Every once in awhile I will get a EMT that comes through asking questions about pharmacology or pathophysiology and I love to go as in depth as they want to go. After spending years in school studying it is fun to educate someone genuinely eager to learn and not thinking they already know everything.

With the drug box it is all about learning the color coding. In general, knowing the location the drug is usually kept in will help you get what you need but in a pinch when the adrenaline is pumping the color coding will give you quick system to find what you need. Although you do need to double check because some of the colors look similar. If all else fails just ask for help.

As a first responder the Paramedic’s understand your limitations and appreciate any help you can give. The two most helpful skills I have found with my first responders are being able splint/bandage well and having solid compression and ventilation skills. It is amazing how hard it is to actually do ventilations and compressions effectively and appropriately.

Well, let’s just pass the state exam before we get too excited about my splinting abilities. I was just made to re-assess a “patient” 5 times tonight at practice b/c I kept hitting fail points. Woops.

And of course the more you start over the more nervous you get and the more you mess up. It was grand fun. I wanted to stop and run away so bad a few times, but I know it’s what I need to get me over the jitters in time for states.

It’s funny, I’ve only had medical and psych transports thus far, but still, I don’t feel as jittery in the back w/ a patient as I do forcing myself to remember in front of the examiner, DCAPBTLS, SAMPLE, AVPU and all that other shizzle. I just get all tongue tied having to say it out loud so the tester hears me. I’m going to be a wreck the first actual trauma I attend and come home and cry like a baby probably. LOL

I HATE PRACTICALS!!! I totally feel your pain. I actually loved the learning and did very well on the written tests but the practicals gave me nightmares. Especially for the paramedic level because there were so many different stations and each situation was so detailed with tons of fail criteria. Funny enough I think the mega-code station was actually easier then the IV/Drug administration station. Go figure.

Don’t sweat it too much though. It is all about repetition and remembering the fail criteria. Do it systematically every time so that you won’t forget anything. No matter what the scenario is do each step, even if it is just acknowledging that the step doesn’t apply to the current situation.

Ah, practicals. “Scene safety, BSI, scene safety, BSI…”

• jjcnbg Said:
I am a Paramedic. Currently I work for a combination fire/ems agency. The only problem with paramedic work that I am running into is that they often run on a rotating shift schedule so it can be difficult to attend class full time.

This is sort of what I was worried about. I have all the EMT-P background (ACLS, BLS, PEPP, PHTLS) etc; I've run megacodes and have a lot of experience with advanced airways, crics, chest tubes. If I had done this job 10 years ago I would be certified as an EMT-P, but the Army decided to go with their own Advanced Tactical Practitioner certification because it was so hard to keep SOF medics current on EMT-P with their deployment rotations.

I've done some rotations with Fire/Rescue before, but that doesn't seem very practical if I'm going to start school full-time. Is it possible to work part time as an EMT-P? Can you find employment at other places besides fire/rescue units?
  • hawkunit Said:
  • jjcnbg Said:
I am a Paramedic. Currently I work for a combination fire/ems agency. The only problem with paramedic work that I am running into is that they often run on a rotating shift schedule so it can be difficult to attend class full time.

This is sort of what I was worried about. I have all the EMT-P background (ACLS, BLS, PEPP, PHTLS) etc; I've run megacodes and have a lot of experience with advanced airways, crics, chest tubes. If I had done this job 10 years ago I would be certified as an EMT-P, but the Army decided to go with their own Advanced Tactical Practitioner certification because it was so hard to keep SOF medics current on EMT-P with their deployment rotations.

I've done some rotations with Fire/Rescue before, but that doesn't seem very practical if I'm going to start school full-time. Is it possible to work part time as an EMT-P? Can you find employment at other places besides fire/rescue units?

You might want to consider applying directly to hospitals to work in their ERs. Many hire EMTs and Paramedics. In a hospital you can work shifts and still have time to go to school since ERs are open around the clock. With your background, I think that you should have an excellent chance at getting a position.

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone in advance for all the great info that can be found on here. This is my first post and I think this is a great organization. I’m thinking about taking an EMT-B course this fall with my first couple premed classes. I see some good info for people going the EMT-P route, but what type of jobs etc can someone with and EMT-B certification expect to find and would it be possible to do them while taking a full premed course load? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

First off check to make sure that your state is one that actually uses EMT-B’s. In some states you really need an EMT-I to get an entry level gig. If they do use them in your state you could definitely do it on the side while working towards your premed coursework. EMT-B is really an extension of a first responder but prepares you to be a partner on a BLS ambulance. The coursework is pretty easy and it does not get real deep into pathophysiology or anything. EMT-I is a pretty big step up that involves more invasive procedures and a deeper knowledge base and paramedic is a whole different ballgame involving extensive education and experience.

Good luck on your pursuit’s and welcome to the club. I am a recently reformed lurker who just started posting. This site is awesome! The only problem I have is that the new posts don’t come fast enough. I’m addicted!!!

I would add that additionally you should try and find someone who works in the field where you live. The types of jobs available for EMT-Bs varies widely even within the same state. In one part of Ohio where I lived, paying jobs for EMTs were virtually non-existent - almost all of the EMS services were volunteer. Across the state line in Indiana, they had a full-time system and hired part-time EMTs and paramedics to fill in for days off and vacations. This unfortunately meant that there was no predictable pattern to when you might be able to pick up shifts. At my most recent locale (and in many big cities), there are a number of private ambulance services that do mostly non-emergent transport of patients from hospital to hospital or nursing home and to dialysis/dr appointments. You would have to contact individual companies and see what kinds of shifts they have available. Some do 24 on 48 off, some do 10s or 12s.

Okay, so after a little research I’ve discovered that I can challenge the NREMT-P exam and also apply for certification in Georgia, which offers reciprocity in some other states.

I understand that these aren’t the “pre-ems boards” but if you’ve ever studied for the EMT-P (like jjcnbg), it would be great if you could suggest some resources for me. I’ve glanced at some of the practice tests and they don’t look too formidable but I will definitely need a review especially for peds and drugs. Working as a paramedic would be a GREAT adjunct to premed studies, not to mention would be a helpful source of income. I think having some reference material for the practicals is going to be pretty essential.

Thanks for all the help, fellas.

Hey hawk,

I am in GA as well. Currently a paramedic with the Cherokee County Fire Department. What is your background that you can challenge the exam. I am guessing you must be a military medic because I don’t believe they let many people challenge the exam due to the unique aspects or “prehospital” medicine.

I will definitely come up with some resources for you. Currently I’m at work so I don’t have them at my fingertips. Depending on your background your most difficult area of the test might be operations due to that being the only non-medicine thing that doesn’t transfer to other professions. Otherwise just be ready for a lot of scenario based questions where there is 1 wrong answer and three right answers. You have to be able to pick out which of the three correct answers is the “most” correct. It’s not too bad though.

Good luck.

Here is the relevant piece of my military transcripts related to medicine. Probably not everyone is going to want to read it, but it will at least give you an idea of how the instruction translates over to EMT-P. Historically the soldiers that completed the course used to be awarded their EMT-P, but the Army did away with it because of conflicts with staying current. Sorry for the length/caps.

Description: UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE ABLE TO COMPLETE EMERGENCY MEDICAL TRAINING (EMT) - PARAMEDIC, BASIC LIFE SUPPORT (BLS)/AUTOMATIC EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATION (AED), PREHOSPITAL TRAUMA LIFE SUPPORT (PHTLS), AND ADVANCED CARDIAC LIFE SUPPORT (ACLS) CERTIFICATIONS; TREAT MEDICAL/TRAUMA CONDITIONS OF SOLDIERS IN WARTIME AND PEACETIME; AND COMPLETE MILITARY INSTRUCTOR QUALIFICATIONS DISCUSSION, CASE STUDIES, AND CLASSROOM EXERCISES. TOPICS INCLUDE EMERGENCY MEDICAL TRAINING (EMT) - PARAMEDIC, BASIC LIFE SUPPORT (BLS), AUTOMATIC EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATION (AED), PREHOSPITAL TRAUMA LIFE SUPPORT (PHTLS), ADVANCED CARDIAC LIFE SUPPORT (ACLS), AND PEDIATRIC ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT (PALS) TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION; BASIC AND ADVANCED AIRWAY MANAGEMENT; OBSTETRICAL (OB) AND GYNECOLOGICAL (GYN) EMERGENCIES, DISORDERS, AND EXAMINATIONS; MEDICAL SUBJECTS AND CASE STUDIES INCLUDING DIVE, HIGH ALTITUDE, HEAT AND COLD, AND TRAVEL MEDICINES; BLAST INJURIES, AND HIGH AND LOW VELOCITY WOUNDS; ENDOCRINE, METABOLIC, NUTRITIONAL, PSYCHIATRIC, NEUROLOGICAL, HEMATOLOGICAL, IMMUNE, ORTHOPEDIC, AND ALLERGY PRINCIPLES AND DISORDERS; CLINICAL PRECEPTORSHIP INCLUDING THE CLINICAL TRAINING/EXPERIENCE AND EVALUATION ON ABILITY TO APPLY PATIENT ASSESSMENT/MANAGEMENT/CAR E SKILLS IN VARIOUS CLINICAL SETTINGS INCLUDING ROTATIONS THROUGH SURGERY, AMBULANCE ROTATIONS, DERMATOLOGY, PEDIATRICS, ORTHOPEDICS, RADIOLOGY, PREVENTIVE MEDICINE/COMMUNITY HEALTH AND THE OUTPATIENT/FAMILY PRACTICE CLINICS; REGIONAL, PRE-, AND POST-ANESTHESIA CARE; PAIN CONTROL, POISONING, FLUIDS-ELECTROLYTES AND REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS, INFECTIOUS DISEASES, AND MEDICAL DISORDERS INVOLVING BODY SYSTEMS; RECORDS, REPORTS, MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION, AND CENTRAL MATERIALS SERVICES; MEDICAL MISSION PLANNING, TACTICAL COMBAT CASUALTY CARE, COMBAT TRAUMA AND PATIENT MANAGEMENT, AND TRAUMA SURGICAL LABORATORY SKILLS; EMERGENCY CARDIAC AND FIELD TREATMENT OF NUCLEAR, BIOLOGICAL, AND CHEMICAL (NBC) CASUALTY CARE; MEDICAL PATIENT ASSESSMENT FOR MEDICAL EMERGENCIES; BASIC PHYSICAL EXAM TECHNIQUES; SURGICAL, OPERATING ROOM, AND GLOVE AND GOWN PROCEDURES; CASTING TECHNIQUES, PHYSICAL DIAGNOSIS, AND INITIAL AND LONG TERM WOUND CARE; PHARMACOLOGY AND PHARMACEUTICAL CALCULATIONS; GENERAL ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY, PATHOPHYSIOLOGY, MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY, RADIOLOGY, VETERINARY, DENTAL, PREVENTIVE MEDICINE, AND NURSING CARE TOPICS; AND MILITARY INSTRUCTOR QUALIFICATION

Recommendations: IN THE VOCATIONAL CERTIFICATE CATEGORY, 1 SEMESTER HOUR IN ADVANCED CARDIAC LIFE SUPPORT, 1 IN PREHOSPITAL TRAUMA LIFE SUPPORT, 1 IN PEDIATRIC ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT, AND 1 IN BASIC LIFE SUPPORT OR 1 IN AUTOMATIC EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATION. IN THE LOWER-DIVISION BACCALAUREATE/ASSOCIATE DEGREE CATEGORY, 3 SEMESTER HOURS IN PHARMACOLOGY, 6 IN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY, 10 IN EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (PARAMEDIC CLINICAL), 5 IN EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (BASIC LEVEL THEORY WITH LABORATORY), 13 IN EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (INTERMEDIATE THEORY WITH LABORATORY), 11 IN EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (PARAMEDIC THEORY WITH LABORATORY) AND 3 IN MILITARY SCIENCE. IN THE UPPER-DIVISION BACCALAUREATE CATEGORY, 8 SEMESTER HOURS IN MILITARY MEDICINE (ADVANCED). IN THE VOCATIONAL CERTIFICATE CATEGORY, 1 SEMESTER HOUR IN ADVANCED CARDIAC LIFE SUPPORT, 1 IN PREHOSPITAL TRAUMA LIFE SUPPORT, 1 IN PEDIATRIC ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT, AND 1 IN BASIC LIFE SUPPORT OR 1 IN AUTOMATIC EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATION. IN THE LOWER-DIVISION BACCALAUREATE/ASSOCIATE DEGREE CATEGORY, 3 SEMESTER HOURS IN PHARMACOLOGY, 6 IN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY, 10 IN EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (PARAMEDIC CLINICAL), 5 IN EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (BASIC LEVEL THEORY WITH LABORATORY), 13 IN EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (INTERMEDIATE THEORY WITH LABORATORY), 11 IN EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (PARAMEDIC THEORY WITH LABORATORY) AND 3 IN MILITARY SCIENCE. IN THE UPPER-DIVISION BACCALAUREATE CATEGORY, 8 SEMESTER HOURS IN MILITARY MEDICINE (ADVANCED) (5/06)(5/06).

Thanks for the read. Looking at the content you should be good to go. You will get a slew of questions about ambulance operations but that shouldn’t be a problem. What was the title of that course? I don’t think I saw it in the title but it is definately a lot more thorough than combat lifesaver. Were you special forces? I know they get a bunch of extra med training.

Yeah it’s the SF medic course. If I can knock this out before I separate from the Army then Uncle Sam will pay for it! Looking forward to your suggestions – definitely appreciate the help.