Any good audio (CD, MP3, tape) MCAT review materials?

I’m driving an hour each way for my physics class twice a week. I would love to use these four hours/week productively. Any suggestions? I’ve heard of Audio Osmosis (ExamKrackers) - any input on it or other resources?

Thanks!

Annette

I’m using audio osmosis to supplement the EK books. It may get you an extra point or two, so in my opinion it’s worth it! I’m particularly fond of their bio lectures because I feel bio is mostly memorization anyway.

I haven’t hit the other lectures that hard thus far but I think it’s worth it. I bought my copy of audio osmosis for $60 on Amazon.

Agreed–I even have it on my desktop and work and listen with earphones throughout the day. (Shhh!)

I haven’t heard of any others, but I’m sure there are some…

I haven’t heard of others, either. I have EK Audio Osmosis, too. I am about 1 1/2 years away from the MCAT and won’t have prereqs done until Spring 2013 semester is over. That being said, I keep the MCAT in the back of my mind and have been prepping. I got the EK Audio Osmosis before I even started my premed classes. I listen in the car from time to time. I find them sometimes annoying but never excessively so. There is a goofiness to them which in a way is better than a dry lecture. I have listened to some “great lectures” on cd in my car and some of them can get a little boring but EK has sound effects, etc. Kind of feels like listening to Car Talk on NPR but for the MCAT. Wouldn’t that be cool if there was an MCAT radio station? Anyway, for long commutes, I am all for using that time to your advantage so I would recommed EK Audio Osmosis for this. It’s not a perfect prep, but it is a good supplement especially for those times “wasted” just behind the wheel.

Thanks! I got this from eBay, and have been listening to it on my commute to/from classes. My 11yo son has also been listening to it - the humor is just at his level and he’s enjoying what he’s learning.

@Shannon - yes, an MCAT radio station would be very cool, so long as it kept the stressed premed vibe off the air. Something relaxed yet informative would be nice.

I use EK Audio Osmosis and I think they provide a good basic coverage of the material. The sound effects are a little annoying though. I recently bought ThinkMCAT’s audio for biology ($25) and it goes into things a bit more indepth than EK Audio Osmosis. You may also want to see if you can download Khan Academy or BozemanScience videos and listen to them on the road.

I was going to post the same exact question! Noticing a lot of little bits of time to squeeze in audio studying while in car/doing chores. I started listening to Khan Academy and I like his voice/delivery. I’ve not noticed anything thus far that contradicts prior info, but I was a little alarmed when he mentioned that some of his info came from a wikipedia article. Any comment on this? Any further audio suggestions are helpful as well. Thanks!

I saw a study of the error rates of encyclopedia Britannica vs Wikipedia; the latter was only a smidge below the former. I have found an error or two in articles that were written at layman level (which wikipedia encourages…) vs professional level. And it’s pretty easy to realize when an author knows what he’s talking about vs someone who is destined to be “revised and re-written”…

My Grad school allowed one, only one, of the five required references to be wikipedia. It also encouraged use of Wikipedia for background and explanatory purposes. I’ve frequently used it when I just don’t “get it” the way the text explains it, but a wiki author just explained it different and/or better…

• syr_eng2md Said:
I use EK Audio Osmosis and I think they provide a good basic coverage of the material. The sound effects are a little annoying though.

Same here. I did us EK audio while driving, but frankly I am not sure it helped a lot. The sounds effect are obnoxious though.

I would try the Khanacademy suggestion, because that site is amazing. So if you can get the sounds or even videos on your phone, this is great (careful when you drive though).

I got the EK audio as well, and thought it was pretty much worthless. I actually am not sold on EK in general. Much of the material is old at this point, and it doesn’t cover everything that is on the exams like it claims to do. The “everything you need and nothing you don’t” approach might have been true when some of those books were written. I think they are a good general review, but their questions are very easy compared to the actual exam questions.

I ended up mostly going back to biology and chem books for the reviewing. Khan Academy is a good thought for some things, but he doesn’t have enough coverage of some subjects to make it a complete review. If you just need some audio to go over DNA replication or something, I guess I can see it being useful. I’m more visual though, and I would keep wanting to see what he was drawing on the screen though.

I used EK (audio and books both) and it was pretty helpful. As someone else mentioned, the sound effects can get kind of annoying but silly things like that help me remember. My angle was trying to refresh my memory on basic sciences since I’d been out of undergrad for a few years.

However, I should point out that I took the MCAT in 2009, so I can’t speak any updates since then or if EK has come out with a new version.

I used three audio sources: Audio Osmosis, AudioLearn, and ThinkMCAT.

AudioLearn was terrible.

Audio Osmosis had some useful tidbits in core Bio (but not at all in evolution or some weird psych section, I am not sure if I’m remembering right). I actually detested Audio Osmosis’ presentation and it has inspired my friend and me to create our own audio recordings.

ThinkMCAT had a ton of info; the issues are (a) sometimes too much information–as in, I think there is material that is beyond what you actually need for the MCAT; (b) he speaks far too fast for me; © he keeps you panicked (the stress vibe someone mentioned) by preceding every concept with “This is absolutely critical for the MCAT.”

Although I loved Khan Academy for classwork, I didn’t use it much for the MCAT. His voice is indeed mellifluous, and I would sometimes just listen to the video (not watching) while doing chores.