Any mom who decided to do medical school?

Hello everyone,

It was wonderful to find this post and hear about other Mom’s who are contemplating, working on or finishing medical school. Truly inspiring! I am a 37 year old mother of a wonderful six year old girl and expecting my second (a boy) end of October. I was a pre-med major as an undergrad 15 years ago but didn’t have the grades to apply to medical school. In 2006 I decided to finally pursue my dream of medical school and quit my job to begin the two year Master’s in Medical Sciences post-bac at BU. After many years away I found being in school exhilarating and I enjoyed every minute! I applied last summer with a 3.1 undergrad GPA, a 3.9 graduate GPA and a 30 on the MCAT. I was accepted to U Mass off the waitlist in May. Because I am having a difficult pregnancy I have decided to defer my admission until August of 2009. Its a little difficult to wait another year but its a good choice for my family. The next year will be busy with baby and I can’t wait to start next year. I will post again when I get closer to school but in the meantime would love to hear again from other Mom’s about how they’re balancing the responsibilities of parenthood and studenthood. Thanks for starting this post! Maya

Mouse! Thank you for your post. Your experience is encouraging and gives me hope… even down to the possibility of deferring enrollment! Good Luck when you start and I pray that you have a safe delivery and a healthy baby boy!

Mouse, ditto to Chrystie’s comments. You’re quite inspirational I have a “checklist for mothers entering or considering medical school” on my bulletin board. I think I found it through the mommd website. Highlights are support, making time for self and family, finances, childcare, backup, academic contacts, time management, taking care of yourself, finding mentors, and having fun. It seems to me that the key to success is having a plan, one that includes plenty of love and support from other adults who can help with parenting when you are short on time (during 3rd year rotations and residency).

I love this thread. Just another way that this discussion board lifts me up, helping me to believe that the dream is possible.

I’m a 30 yr old mom of a yr old girl…just beginning my post-bacc journey of premed courses. Since my husband works really long hours…and I have no close family in this country, it has solely been my baby and I for the past year and a half.

My daughter just started daycare yesterday as classes start for me in 2 weeks, and I missed her terribly and was almost non-functional today! (& did I mentioned I bawled alone at home?!) I’m just beginning this journey but it was really tough today…I constantly worried if she was eating or crying too and was sick with heart ache! Huuuge siigh…I know it gets easier…but just need some words of inspiration i guess

Hi,

I am 100% sure my mom would say the same thing to me. I am 34 and had my first child 3 1/2 months ago. There are moments when I look at him and wonder if I am being selfish, but like so many replied, if I am not happy, it will affect my kid as well. As long as your husband is supportive, go for it! I am!

Hi there,

Please don’t get discouraged. Having a small baby and having to return to school or to work full time is really hard. But don’t worry, your baby will be fine and it will get easier. Also, in the long run he or she will get a lot out of being around other kids at the daycare. Don’t doubt yourself or feel bad - if you’re doing something you love you’ll be able to be a better, more supportive Mom in the long run. Keep your chin up! Maya

I think I understand. Our timing was similar. My daughter was one and a half when I started classes. I was able to do it emotionally, because during the first semester and most of the second I took classes during her lunch/nap time. I remember that Chem lab was tough. I would look at the clock, knowing my daughter was waking up from her nap, and wishing I could just leave. It also helped me to use the college’s CDC…which is amazing. It was cheap, my girl was close, and they were flexible with my hours.

Can you take classes in the 10:30-2:30 block? Can you ease your way into it for the next year? It’s not easy to take classes and be the full-time parent for such a young baby. It wasn’t for me. There were a lot of tears on both sides. I didn’t sleep much, and I felt quite sorry for myself sometimes. I think it’s worth it (you’re worth it). This time next year, it will be a different ball game for you. Two and a half year olds tend to love playing with other kids, and I like the break/help entertaining her.

Good luck. I hope it gets a bit easier in the weeks to come and that your baby is in a great place, with loving, capable people.

Go for your dream girl. Don’t let anyone and I mean ANYONE tell you otherwise. I am 45 years old with 3 girls; 23, 14 and 8. The last one was my little millenium surprise baby. There wasn’t a medical school in Phoenix, AZ until recently which is the main reason why I couldn’t go when I was in my early 30s. The dream hasn’t died. You’re much younger than I am so it will be easier for you. I have met a lot of people my age and even older who have achieved their dreams. I am a healthcare systems software developer with a BS in Computer Information Systems. I work with docs all the time on the business end of healthcare. Wanted to be a doc for a long time. I start my prereqs this fall at ASU and I am also pursuing a masters in biomedical informatics. Good luck and stand strong.