Any Moms out there?

Are there any other pre-med or med-school moms out there? I have two kids almost 3 and 2 and I am planning to start pre-med in the Fall. Would love to chat with others in my situation.

Welcome to OPM!
We’re here! My kids are 2 and 7 now! There are lots of moms/parents here!
You might want to check out MomMD, a site dedicated to supporting women and mothers in medicine.

There are lots of moms here! I came to post about Mommd.com but Selina beat me to it!
I have 2 boys, ages 3 and 6. I’m working on my bachelors right now. I’m in the early stages so I’m working on getting the pre-reqs to the pre-meds out of the way! And all the general classes.
-Christy

Cool. I found this site through mommd.com. I am just trying to get as much info as I can about the whole experience. WHere do you live? I am in CA. I have a bachelors degree so I just need to take my science classes.

Hey! I plan to go to AZCOM beginning in 2007. How are you doing getting through med school w/ 2 kids? What is your specialty? I want to be an OB/GYN.

Me? I’m in Missouri.
And I got my coursework done before I had kids, and worked at a couple of different careers (cytogenetic tech, research coordinator) before I applied to med school.
I start classes in August, so I don’t yet know how it will be having kids and going to school. I already work, though, so I figure I’ll do fine once school starts since I actually WANT to be there!
I don’t know what I’d like to do…I love women’s health and peds issues, but I worry that it would be too heartbreaking sometimes. I think I’d be a good surgeon or pathologist… We’ll see. That’s what rotations are for, right?

I personally don’t have kids, but a very close friend of mine at school has two boys, 8 and 6. Actually, we met when we started post-bacc together back in May 2000. Anyway, moving her family just outside of DC up to Baltimore was impractical, so she shares a dorm suite with another friend of ours from post-bacc and stays up at school during the week. She’s very focused when she is studying at school so that when she does go home she can be focused on her family. Her husband goes to school one or two nights a week, so she goes home on one of those nights too. She also devotedly keeps her sabbath (she’s Seventh Day Adventist), even if we have an exam on Monday. She’s done great and her family is excited about her journey and are a great support. She is also fortunate in that her in-laws live less than 10 min from her house, so they help out a lot. I admire her for juggling so much and doing well.
Hope this helps,
Tara

I’m a single mom to a 5 year old girl and in taking pre-reqs full time. So far I have a 4.0 but we’ll see when med school comes along. I’m sure it will get harder but I figure… one day at a time.
Good luck.
Jill

Yes. Kids are 9,8,6,and 2 - 14 month olds. It is not elegant but somehow the pre-reqs are getting done slowly and day by day. Children and family add balance to this whole process. I am not sure if I could have done this without them. Everything is really about time-management (and never letting time get sucked into the big tv black hole ). Always open to chatting on this topic.
Cheers,
Michelle

Good luck to you too! You have an even harder job than I do! My husband is a 2L at Pepperdine Law School and managed medical practices for 7 years so he knows what I am in for. I am so thankful for that. Thanks for the encouragement.
M

WoW! That is amazing! I am with you on not knowing if you could do it w/o your family. I never believed I could until I had my kids. They and my husband are my inspiration.
Thanks for the encouragement!!!
M

Hi and welcome to OPM,
I am a mother of 2 kids, now 9 and 16.
My daughter was 3 1/2 when I started my undergrad work. I will say it will take total commitment on your part as well as you families part. My husband chipped in a huge amount. He and my daughter got very close, because he would take her to school and to dance 2 times a week. They are closer now because of the extra time he got to spend with her. My son was 11 when I started so he didn’t need as much attention from me, but he also got extra time with his dad.
If you and your husband approach this as a time when he will be able to get to know his kids better and if everyone in the family stays focused on what you are trying to achieve, and very importantly, that you stay organized with set times for study and set times for family time,… then you all should make it through and gain a bit more that you wouldn’t have gained before you were in school.
I was lucky also since my son was older, he was a huge help with his little sis. You may want to look into someone coming to the house to watch your little ones at home which you study.
Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any help and if you have any kid raising questions that deal with school, I would love to help in any way I can.
Amy

mkrabill,
I’m starting school in the Fall - I’m going for my 2nd BA - in Biology and would like to make it to a medschool in 2007. will see. We don’t have a kids yet, but we’re thinking about having one before I start all that…If we don’t have one soon, we might be waiting really long…
and have you also tried www.mommd.com - almost everyone there is a mom

Oh, boy, am I a mom. I have 3 kids, ages 20, 12, and 6!! The two youngest are going with us to the UK where I’m starting med school there in May. We chose the UK vs the Caribbean specifically for the school system available to the kids. Any questions, just ask!
Kathy

I am a mom as well I have 2 girls (Taylor and Lauryn) who are 6 (next month) and 2 yrs. I also homeschool my oldest and am in school full-time pre-med. I love it and like someone else said it adds balance to it all.
My kids somehow make everything I do seem worthwhile.
Marilyn

Osteopathic school. That is where I want to go. I am hoping to go to AZCOM. What is your are of specialty? I would like to go into OB/GYN. Thanks for your honesty. Right now my husband and I are not sure if we are ready to go through with it. The time issue may just be too big for us to overcome. Who knows though. I have put it in God’s hands and if he wants it to happen it will.
M

Just chiming in…
I’m a mom too… boy, that sounds weird.
I have 2 boys, 6 and 4.
I’m applying this summer and hope to enter in Fall 05.
I am almost done with my undergrad (bio) (will be done in December if all goes well)…
Being in school with kids has been really hard. I have some support, but not a lot and so I struggle with a lot of issues. I have perfectionist and superwoman issues mostly. Hey, at least I admit it…
Anyway… I wish you the best of luck.
We’re all in this together!
Andrea

I am Mom to a great almost 10 year old boy. Honestly, he is my strongest supporter. I could go on and on about the true joys of parenting, but I will spare you that. Also, I am a pediatric nurse practitioner so kids and their families are a big part of my life.
Shirl

Being a parent, esp a mom, is challenging as a pre-med & even more so as a med student & escalates further for residents. However, take solace in the fact that many have successfully gone through it before you, more will succeed after you - meaning that it can be done with the support of your spouse/SO & family.