Any of you going or in Ireland or the UK?

Hi all.
I have been hearing alot of mixed reviews about med school in the UK/Ireland. Not the education, just the whole process. I havent totally decided if this is going to be an option for me but its always something to consider.
Has anyone applied and been rejected, in med school there now or graduated from any of these programs?
What are your thoughts? Are you planning to come back to the USA? What are your concerns about writing the USMLEs comming from a non-US curriculum? I have heard UK/Ireland people match easier than Carribbian and are looked at differently, have you seen this? The match stats seem to bear out that UK/Ireland grads do as well, or better, on the match than Carribbean students.
Anywho, just looking for information. The idea of going to Europe is cool but actually making it an option Im not so sure of.
Thanks

Wow
Im surprised Noone has considered this option. Many consider the Caribbean and UK/Ireland is a better option than that.
Anyone?

You just haven’t seen responses from our UK contingent. Kahkeetsee, whuds and futrfysician are all at St. Christopher’s in Luton, England. Search for their posts and you’ll find out lots about that school, anyway.
Mary

Hi Mary,
As usual you are an excellent resource!
thanks!

“excellent resource” = “old as the hills” or at least "has been around here since forever"
Glad to help!

Quote:

Has anyone applied and been rejected, in med school there now or graduated from any of these programs?

I applied to four schools in the UK, after researching which ones do and do not take overseas applicants into the post-grad type programs. (In other words, I did not want to apply to any of the standard, 5 or 6 year British undergraduate medical degree programs. I wanted some of my science credits to count.)
I got rejected by 3 schools and accepted at the University of Edinburgh. I wanted to go there, but for two main reasons I decided not to: 1) I’m not an EU citizen so I might never be authorized to work in the UK, and I was worried that I might get stuck at the end of medical school, wanting to stay there but not legally allowed to; and 2) my medical license would then come from the UK, and I wasn’t sure how easy it would be to get back into the US system, should I be unable to stay in the UK.
Now for people who know they want to return to the states, I think it’s an easier decision, because they can elect to do rotations here, and they can tailor their time in med school so that they can match back here for residency. But for me, since I wanted to MOVE overseas, it actually seemed more strategic to stay here and take advantage of study abroad programs and stuff like that. I’m hoping one day to work for some kind of international organization.
But as far as just applying to UK schools, one thing about Edinburgh is that they do not require your list of coursework or an undergrad GPA. They only care about exam scores–SAT, MCAT, GRE, etc. So if that’s your strength, I’d apply there! Other schools vary as far as what information they require, but it’s WAY less than what AMCAS demands and a lot cheaper too.

I’d give my right arm to go to Edinburgh! I visited there many times and fell in love (country, people, etc). I’d probably end up in the situation of wanting to stay too … oh well, maybe in another life.

Now my understanding is that Ireland and the UK are making it easier for us to stay there every year. Seems their shortage of Doc’s is changing the rules.
anyone else heard this?

Quote:

But as far as just applying to UK schools, one thing about Edinburgh is that they do not require your list of coursework or an undergrad GPA. They only care about exam scores–SAT, MCAT, GRE, etc. So if that’s your strength, I’d apply there! Other schools vary as far as what information they require, but it’s WAY less than what AMCAS demands and a lot cheaper too.

Do you mean to say that they completely disregard your GPA, or only your undergraduate GPA as you have stated? What about your post-baccalaureate GPA? It does sound attractive for someone with mediocre grades and very good standardized test scores.
But is this school considered to be on a par with a mainland U.S. school? In other words, if you got into Edinborough and a non-top-50 U.S. school then which would be preferable from the point of view of learning good U.S. medicine, matching into U.S. residence programs, being able to practice anywhere in the 50 states, and having qualifications for international work (e.g., WHO)?
Thanks,

Quote:

Do you mean to say that they completely disregard your GPA, or only your undergraduate GPA as you have stated? What about your post-baccalaureate GPA? It does sound attractive for someone with mediocre grades and very good standardized test scores.

They don’t ask for GPA on their application, but they do request copies of transcripts once you’ve been admitted. They don’t ask for any results of coursework taken anywhere. The reason for this, I assume, is that in the UK, the way academic performance is measured is through final, graduating exam scores. So the application only asks for exam scores. I did put down the fact that I had a BA degree as one of my “examination” results. I’m sure they are aware of how the system works in the US, so they will look for the major indicators, such as degrees earned and standardized test scores.
Quote:

But is this school considered to be on a par with a mainland U.S. school? In other words, if you got into Edinborough and a non-top-50 U.S. school then which would be preferable from the point of view of learning good U.S. medicine, matching into U.S. residence programs, being able to practice anywhere in the 50 states, and having qualifications for international work (e.g., WHO)?

It is just as good as any US medical school, I’m sure. Schools in the British university system don’t get “ranked” liked US schools, I guess because the belief is that they’re ALL good. (Except for Oxford and Cambridge, which are especially good.) I can’t say how easy it would be to come back to the US for residency–that is a totally different question and I was never able to find out the answer myself. I haven’t checked but I am absolutely positive they are accredited by WHO.

Hey
Ive looked into what it takes to come back extensively. There is a down side to going to a UK or Ireland Med school. They are not at all setup for writing the USMLEs. That being said you have to take it upon yourself to prepare for these exams. While USA med schools, caribbean med schools and private schools in the UK like St Chris prepare students for these exams, UK and Ireland schools do not. Then info is the same but the USMLE isnt the focus.
You are seen as an FMG just like a caribbean student. In fact, it is questionable who might have the advantage as an FMG. Caribbean physicians have considerably more stigma attached to them than UK Ireland students, but they spend their entire clincial time in the states, making contacts for pre match residency. Or making contacts when the time comes to select a student through the match. UK and Ireland students do not. The best you can get is clinical electives here in the states. Seems like a catch 22 but i would have to say caribbean students probably have an easier go of the USMLE’s and therefore a better chance at matching.
Hope that helps