Any OPMer's have this problem??

Hello All,

I was wondering if anybody has had a problem registering to repeat any pre-reqs?? I am in the process of applying to a local state school to retake old pre-req’s (over 10 years taken at another state school) and the admissions office has told me that in the state of Florida, once you have taken a course and gotten a C or higher you may not retake the course…EVER! This applies only to all state schools of course. Any body know about this?? Now…I have read that after taking a course 3x you must pay full price (what out of state tuition would be) but havent heard that you just cant ever retake!!!

Well, I live in Toronto so this probably isn’t that relevant, but when I applied to the university I took my undergrad at 20 years ago, they would not let me retake any courses because I had passed them all. Since there are several universities in the area, I just applied to another one and had not problems. So I guess what I am saying is that it might be a university specific rule.

I think Tennessee has that rule for students seeking a degree–but I am registered as a non-degree seeking student (just ‘dropping in to pick up a few classes’), so they let me take whatever I want.

Does it matter if you are using student loans vs paying for it yourself? If you are a non-degree seeking student who is self-paying, the schools around here will let you take whatever you want however many times you want to take it (which makes sense…they want the money, of course.)

So you may get by with retaking the course if you are willing to pay for it yourself… it’s frustrating, though, I’m sure! Sorry for the road bump–I hope you find a way around it!

That seems like the stupidest law ever written. Sorry

• FloridaMom Said:
Hello All,

I was wondering if anybody has had a problem registering to repeat any pre-reqs?? I am in the process of applying to a local state school to retake old pre-req's (over 10 years taken at another state school) and the admissions office has told me that in the state of Florida, once you have taken a course and gotten a C or higher you may not retake the course...EVER! This applies only to all state schools of course. Any body know about this?? Now..I have read that after taking a course 3x you must pay full price (what out of state tuition would be) but havent heard that you just cant ever retake?!?!

That's bizarre. And unless the cost of administering a course is greater than the money taken in in tuition, I don't even know what the justification would be. And at that, most programs I've been in won't let you graduate unless certain courses are a B- or better.

From what I could find on a quick Google search, the state law is that on your third time through a class, you start paying full tuition (because the state taxes subsidize the normal in-state discount). Anything more stringent than that seems to be strictly a school by school basis.

• FloridaMom Said:
Hello All,

I was wondering if anybody has had a problem registering to repeat any pre-reqs?? I am in the process of applying to a local state school to retake old pre-req's (over 10 years taken at another state school) and the admissions office has told me that in the state of Florida, once you have taken a course and gotten a C or higher you may not retake the course...EVER! This applies only to all state schools of course. Any body know about this?? Now..I have read that after taking a course 3x you must pay full price (what out of state tuition would be) but havent heard that you just cant ever retake?!?!

I would try to talk to a pre-med advisor, and if they don't have a specific pre-health/med office find one for whatever school has life sciences and get in to see that advisor.

Explain your situation as having pre-reqs too old to keep you competitive for med school and keep asking who they can refer you to that can help you. Don't focus too much on rock and hard place, but do ask if they have any ideas on how to help you. Most advisors, when not being cried at or yelled at, will work really hard to help you.

The worst that they can say is that it's no go and you can seek a different school...