Applicants 2003

Okay, here it goes. Fill out AMCAS NOW ASAP, do not wait any longer. Transcripts are only sent in to AMCAS so they can verify what you fill out on the application versus what is on the transcript. You can send the transcripts to AMCAS BEFORE you even submit AMCAS. I am serious do not delay. I sent in my transcripts in early May and AMCAS did not acknowledge recepit until early June. I had my AMCAS done and ready to go by mid June and I was waiting for my April MCAT score. I submitted AMCAS on the 25th of June and I am still waiting to be verified (were they check transcripts versus what you fill in on AMCAS). Other people submitted later than me and have already been verified and are just waiting for AMCAS to transmit the application to the medical schools (this will happen on the 14th july). Letters of recommendation do not go to AMCAS, they go to the individual schools that you have applied to IF they ask for them, unless it is a school that sends secondaries to everyone without screening via AMCAS (Creighton, Wash U, Yale are three that are taking secondaries right now). Some schools prefer a committee composite letter if you have that available. This committee letter can be generated from an interview at your undergrad with a pre-med type board were they rank you, or it can be from a pre-med advisor who collects different letters and evaluation forms and then he/she writes a composite letter. If this is not an option then you will have to have individual professors submit the letters themselves to X or Y schools. I hope this helps somewhat.

I was just processed albeit some X's all for change of status…

Best wishes to everyone applying with me this year.
Still haven't finished AMCAS or ACOMAS, but I have set a deadline for the end of this month, July 31st. Final reviews should be completed by my health professions counselor when he gets back from vacation in early August. So, the AMCAS application won't really be signed off until early to mid August with the ACOMAS following.
Hope that's not too late!
I'm planning on casting a wide net by applying to 25-30 med schools. Yes, it's a hefty price to pay and hopefully it'll pay off. Every penny spent on getting into one school will be worth it, and possibly having a choice will make it that much better.
Well, it's wonderful to have so many of us hope-fulls share their experiences this year. May your fingernails outlast the waiting process and may all our dreams come true.
Steve

Well, U of Wisconsin has downloaded my AMCAS application woohooo! One transmission so far out of 32 ohmy.gif

Three more to add so here is the tally: Mayo, MCW, St. Louis U, U of Wisconsin

Hey Efex! I finally joined you in the ‘verified & transmitting’ club! AMCAS finally got me verified. I noticed that it takes them longer to post the info than it does to actually do it. I just got notified today and my page says my app was transmitted in the 14th.
Now for those secondaries!!! laugh.gif

Cool! I have been transmitted to about 19 out of 32! I have already completed three secondaries from schools that do not screen, cannot wait to get the rest of my apps done…

So far I've sent in three secondaries already, NOVA, AZCOM, NJSOM, and I'm currently working in VCOM. I have heard from Mayo (wanting their check), and UCONN sent me their secondary yesterday, and I received KCOM and PCOM today.
Man, this is a lot of work - why can't they just ask the same questions :sunglasses:
But - I'm suppose to be studying for the MCAT not doing secondaries, but the secondaries must be in by the indicated date, but AUG 16 is just around the corner, but …
Ahhhhhhhhh…
I'm okay now, I just lost my mind, but just for a moment - I'm all-better now, really.

Hang in there, BAC! This is all good stuff! Secondaries, MCAT, etc. It all means you are getting so much closer to medical school!
Say, I'm confused. I thought Mayo didn't have secondaries and you only heard from them if you were getting the phone interview? Did I miss something?

Theresa, Mayo just wanted a check so that they could “start the processing of your application.”

Yeah, thank God! I much prefer to send money and do nothing. I have completed and sent 6 secondaries so far some are easy as pie.

When you send your secondaries, do you have to send your transcripts again as well ? I'm worried about how long it takes for GA State to mail out transcripts.
Do you guys recommend I have my transcripts sent to me and then sned them to AMCAS ?

You do not have to send transcripts with secondaries…AMCAS verifies all transcripts and the medical schools use this verification as proof of your attendance at university. Transcripts must be sent directly from your university to AMCAS. AMCAS will not accept transcripts sent by you.

And get cooking on those transcripts, it seems to take ages before amcas receives them and nothing can be verified w/o them!

And get cooking on those transcripts, it seems to take ages before amcas receives them and nothing can be verified w/o them!

Ain't that the truth! I had my second school do a rush on them and it's been three weeks already. I keep getting the "On Hold" emails from AMCAS. It's good that they do that electronic transmittal service so that secondaries can be sent out without verified apps. THough I am sure that there are some schools that wait for the verified app before making a move.

Well, I got my first rejection letter today. The school did not ask for a secondary, they did not get all the LORs, and I have not taken the MCAT yet. The school only accepts 6 from out of state, so it was a long shot - but not even waiting until all the info was in…ahhhh.
The count is now:
one down, one already considered my application (without a secondary) and is waiting for the MCAT scores, 10 secondaries complete

BAC–
Sorry to hear about that, but it's so early in the game still! And you're right–6 OOS apps is an eXtra long shot. Have you taken the MCAT previously?If so, that school may have based their decision on that. If not, then their criteria for OOS'ers must be extremely competitive. Well, good luck with the MCAT!

Hi everyone, it's been a long time, but I figured I'd pop a post out and let people know how things on this end have been going.
After studying literaly for six months straight, I ended up kicking butt on the MCAT and am now working on my secondaries. I submitted my primary in July, and it was just finalized this past week. In the meantime, I've received secondaries from a lot of schools and have managed to finish Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Washington U, U Penn, and Baylor. Am planning on finishing up Ohio State and U Cinn this weekend. Still haven't heard from a handful of schools (I ended up applying to 16 schools), but my top picks are already in (if I'm lucky enough to get an interview).
I'll keep everyone posted - thanks again to everyone from back in 2002 with the advice on what to do to study and get ready for all this!!
Divejeep

I got a 'Application complete' postcard today from PCOM. What's up with that? I thought the MCAT had to be in for an application to be complete - I took the AUG test so my scores will not be available till mid-Oct.
What chance does one really have when the postcard states that preference is given to applicants from the Appalachian area and I'm from CT? Hmmm…can I stress that the the trail runs through CT???