Application Disappointments

Quote:

Iowa has two alternate lists. One for in-state and one for non-residents. They rank each separately, and the class is filled in order from each list. One out of state person drops, and a person is added from the out of state alternate list…etc. They update their list and send it out every two weeks from March 15 until the class is full.
Has anyone else received a letter from Loyola about their one year M.A. in Medical Sciences, meant to boost the med school application for borderline candidates? Sounded really good to me, but I can’t just uproot my family to Chicago for a year. It got me to start looking into online programs. So far, I have only found one other one year program that would work (a graduate certificate, not Master’s). I don’t really want to commit to more than a year, since I don’t want to put off beginning med school any longer than I have to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Angie

Hi Angie,
You may want to invest some money in professional admissions counseling i.e. our own Judy Colwell, before you spend thousands on a masters degree that you don’t need. If you think about it, she may be able to buff your application just that little bit that might make the difference between acceptance and rejection a second time around.
Even if I didn’t know Judy and her excellent services, I completely endorse the idea that ALL non-trads in this cycle of increasing applications at all schools, NEED to have professional counseling. You can attend the Denver convention and win a total counseling package or you can decide to spend a small amount of money for professional counseling compared to you have already spent or will spend to attend another degree program and reapply.
Natalie

Angie,
Send me an email at:
catherder@direcway.com

Angie,
My application cycle was awful also. I applied to a total of 16 schools, some MD, some DO. I did not get ONE interview. I completed my apps in June, but my pre-med office was still sending out paperwork after the first of the year! Got 5 great LOR’s but NO pre-med committee recommendation (won’t go into that here). I made the decision not to get into that again, and will be starting at St. Christopher’s in Luton, UK May 4th! This whole process can be a crushing blow to your ego, that’s for sure, but I will be a doc, no matter what. Keep your focus and good luck in your future.
Kathy

Angie, are you applying to DO schools?

Duh- DMU IS DO, right? I mean OTHER DO schools.
And I got the letter from Loyola, too. It must be for us “on the bubble” people.

I also applied to CCOM, but did not complete the secondary because they were clear that it would be quite difficult to defer matriculation (basically, you have to reapply), and with the baby, I just didn’t think it was worth the effort if it meant I would have to reapply anyway.

Quote:

I also applied to CCOM, but did not complete the secondary because they were clear that it would be quite difficult to defer matriculation (basically, you have to reapply), and with the baby, I just didn’t think it was worth the effort if it meant I would have to reapply anyway.

Angie’s comment brings up a more general thought about asking/getting a defer. As has said before, even though it may be obvious that you are going to ask for a defer (e.g. you are in the Peace Corps for another full year before you can attend), don’t ask for it until you have an acceptance letter in hand.
When you do ask for it, be prepared for a number of different methods that schools use for the nitty gritty of the process. No matter what they have you do (e.g. just send a letter asking for it and acknowledging that you will be attending the following year), you will still have to submit an AMCAS application the following year, if only to get you into the “system.” This is usually nothing more than a formality. Some schools require that you promise to not re-apply anywhere else during that year. Other schools require that you apply Early Decision. Naturally they accept you immediately. But this prevents the applicant from trying to play one acceptance/defer into an acceptance somewhere else that next year.
I’m sure there are other permutations of this as well. And of course, many schools say, “Nope. Now or reapply and take your chances.”
(BTW, I’m a firm believer in “the bird in the hand” cliche.)
Cheers,
Judy