apply in 2010?

Ive scheduled a biology class the first O-chem and microbiology for the fall term, I’m gonna take the second biology second o-chem and biochem in the spring, technically all I need is the Biology and organic chem to apply, I’d like to pick up anatomy but it just won’t fit this fall but maybe in the spring. If I plan on taking the June MCAT, is that too late to apply for admission for 2010? I’ve read somewhere that the latest I can take the MCAT and still apply is August, but they have rolling admission, so if I get my application in later my odds aren’t as good right?

If you think you are going to be ready for the MCAT before June, then you can surely try it. You’ll have to apply around the same time you take MCAT! You want to submit this application as soon as possible - meaning at some point in June. They will verify your application and when your MCAT scores are back, you’ll be good to go (providing that they are good).

My only concern would be that you won’t have Organic or biology grades by then… I’m not sure how many schools would interview without seeing these grades. One pending class i definitely not as big an issue as 4 classes. Having said that I think you would be better off waiting until next year. It will delay the whole process one year, but potentially can save you lots of money. You wouldn’t like to spend a fortune on the application process and not get any interviews because you haven’t completed you prereqs.

It’s my 2 cents.

Kasia

Here in the midwest we finish up spring semester in mid-May. Profs are off campus by May 19, so grades have to be in before June. Taking the classes in spring is no problem. But, I know the further East you go, the later classes go into June, so Kasia could be right for WV.

• AliJ Said:
Here in the midwest we finish up spring semester in mid-May. Profs are off campus by May 19, so grades have to be in before June. Taking the classes in spring is no problem. But, I know the further East you go, the later classes go into June, so Kasia could be right for WV.

My impression was that this person wanted to apply this coming June, and take the prereqs during the next school-year while applying. That's why I said that 4 pending prereqs might be a little bit too much.

[quote/]

My impression was that this person wanted to apply this coming June, and take the prereqs during the next school-year while applying. That’s why I said that 4 pending prereqs might be a little bit too much.

I think you might be right! I read it as applying in 2010, not applying FOR 2010, because this person hasn't had any bio or O-chem and only has 2 months to study for a June 09 MCAT That would be a little crazy. . .engineers sure are cocky (says AliJ, licensed professional engineer).

All of the required coursework will be completed and graded by early May

I guess I misread your first post.

If you’re going to have your grades by mid-May then I think you can take the MCAT in June and apply for 2010 admission. But you have to submit your application in June! Don’t wait for your MCAT scores to come back… you should have some idea how you did - especially after taking practice tests. It takes them a lot of time to verify the application, and the later you push this button, the longer you have to wait. If you wait with submitting your application until you get your MCAT scores, than it will put you in a disadvantage.

Good luck,

Kasia

Im so confused…

I have 2 semesters left to finish my pre-reqs… so that means i should be finished may 2010.

By then I will have completed my MCAT (?? i think/hope??)

So that year is when I would be applying for the 2011 entering class?

From what I’ve seen, each school has its own timeline, i guess… but generally I’ve read that most schools have a Dec deadline for the next years class? Its that far in advance? I can never get it right…

Okay so my question actually is, when and how do I start focusing on what I need to complete?? Seems like there are so many dates!! Is there a secret to organizing all this that I should know about?

If you want to to start medical school in the fall 2011 (which in medical school world it really means summer) you should be applying in the summer 2010. The application process is really long b/c there are many more people applying than there’re spots available + they actually interview every candidate they are considering for admission.

The dates given at the school websites are the deadlines for application - it varies, but usually falls between October and December. You don’t apply directly to a particular school. You use an application service (different for DO and MD schools). The services start accepting applications in early June and this is when you want to apply! You don’t want to wait until the deadline given on each school’s website, or you’ll put yourself in a huge disadvantage! If you wait, the schools might have already most of the seats filled by those who applied early.

You’ll find a lot on the application process on this forum.

Kasia