Applying without Clinicals

Hi everyone !

So I am studying for the mcat (for a June test date) and I will still have biochem to take in July.

Once my classes are over I plan to either work for 911 EMS or do transport. This will be my only thing going on in my life at the time until I get admitted to med school.

My question is for everyone- do I apply this year and in activities write “expected hours” or apply next year?

Do you have any clinical hours? Volunteer or paid?

If not, medical schools will wonder if you understand what you are getting yourself into. Maybe you can explain that COVID took your clinical experience away in the application but that is still a rough look.

How is the rest of your application? Stats? EC? Shadowing? What type of schools are you applying to? There are a lot of details that need filling here in order to give you any meaningful advice.

Thanks for responding!

My cGpa=3.4 , sGpa =3.7 I have 122 hours PICU volunteer before covid

Fall of 2020 I took an EMT class and got certified this past January

I have 232 non volunteer hours

I have 134 hours shadowing an ICU pulmonologist 22 with a plastic surgeon , 10 with a ortho surgeon and 12 hours shadowing ED physician (only one shift of each due to covid)

I just applied for 911 and transport to start in July.

No research

I plan to apply to mid tier MD and some DO

Mcat score (unknown June test date) I know this is a big deciding factor but let’s say I scored a 507 just for the sake of this scenario

1 Like

In your case I think you can differentiate the established hours you have from the expected hours by using a separate activity (or whatever the category is called). Since you have about 350 clinical hours and 150 shadowing hours with plans to move forward, I think you can make a safe argument that you’ve been exposed to the clinical environment as well as physicians to know what you’re getting into. Assuming your MCAT score is a solid one I think you have a good shot for this cycle as long as you follow Dr. Gray’s advice on PS and activity descriptions :wink:

2 Likes

Hello JaykayQ!

Without a doubt, the most important factor for you would be your MCAT score. Many medical schools do not even consider applicants whose MCAT scores fall well below their averages. Other important factors are letters of recommendations, personal statements, and extracurricular activities.

Schools seek the best students. In the health sciences, this means those who are more likely to complete programs and become certified to enter clinical practice. The MCAT provides clues on which students are likely to drop out, finish on time, and pass their licensing exams on the first try. if your MCAT score is too low, you might not make it to the interview stage.

The MCAT score would be most important in determining whether you get invited to an interview at a medical school. Medical schools only give interviews to applicants who they believe are highly qualified. Once invited to the interview, an applicant’s performance at the interview seems to be the most important factor that affects admissions.

The MCAT is a crucial enough exam to warrant strategizing, including investment in study aids and restructuring your schedule (e.g,. taking one fewer course in your final semester) to free up additional study time. Here are two tips for MCAT Prep:

1. Plan to Study a Lot: View the MCAT as the mother of all finals, drawing on everything you’ve learned in all your science courses. It’s never too early to start reviewing, and hard to study too much. Most students prep between 200 and 300 hours. Inadequate preparation is cited as the main reason that forces 50 percent of students to retake the test.
  2. Explore All Study Aid Options: Experts recommend using a variety of study aids. Take diagnostic tests that can give you a sense of what the MCAT is like and where you need work.

Email us at info@manhattaneliteprep.com or call/live chat with us on our website if you need any MCAT Prep help! Thanks for your interest!