Are we ready???

So who is starting the “2012-2013 Application Season” thread? Is it tradition for someone entering med school this year to kick it off for the ones applying? (You guys are the experts, so we will be asking YOU all our questions. )

If it’s not a tradition, it should be.

So glad May is almost here–I am so eager to start working on my application! Bailey, Desert, Switz, et. al… I hope you guys remember everything about this process, so you can pass the torch along! Heheh…

Here we go!

Carrieliz -

My advice - make a spreadsheet:

For primary application

programs you are planning to apply to.

Contact info for admissions

name of admissions coordinator

LOR’s they want.

I found that using a letter service like Interfolio was well worth the $100 it cost at the time. Could load up ALL my LOR’s (which I labeled by “chem professor”, “committee letter”, “DO - TN”, “DO - Va”, “MD” etc. Then I could go in and easily send each school the ones they wanted, electronically.

Have a folder for application. Get a copy of every transcript for every college course you have. Have a contact sheet for each institution how to request transcripts to be sent to AAMC/AACOMAS.

This may be easy for you, compared to the 8 I had to obtain, but it doesn’t hurt to be organized.

If you have the copy of everything, you are ready to enter the grades into the AACOMAS or AAMC web site.

Have someone proof your personal statement. Two someones.

As I got into secondaries, I added columns on my spreadsheet. What I liked about each school and important things about their “mission” I gleaned from their web site (to be woven into my essays or interviews). A column for what their secondary questions are so while my application was being processed, i could start working on the secondaries and have a really quick turnaround.

Buy large envelopes and stamps for mailing out secondaries.

SAVE a copy of each secondary application, esp. the essays. Because if you get asked to interview, you want to review your primary and secondary app. before the interview to be ready to address any questions they might have. Also maybe make a “cheat sheet” of questions to ask them about the school. When they ask if you have questions, you can ask “can I take notes?” - then pull out your cheat sheet so if your mind goes blank, some good questions are right there that show you’ve done your homework in looking into their school.

Ok, way to much info…must be overcaffienated…signing off!

Kate

Well my focus is Texas so I will be applying to the Texas system and the AAMC system but not the DO system. Not that I have anything against DO. In fact, the DO school in Texas uses the Texas system so that will be the only DO school I will be applying to. I just don’t have the bandwidth to apply to all these systems. My major concern is location so the closest school (MD) is top choice, the next closest the DO is 2nd and so on…

So far I have the following done:

• LORs on Interfolio
  • Transcript requests prepared
  • Transcripts ready to send out (for TX system)
  • Copies of Transcripts for me to enter courses
  • Credential evaluation done (for foreign courses)
  • Plan of course I will take during glide year
  • Sheet on how I financed school so far
  • Personal statement edited multiple times
  • Optional essay 1, need optional essay 2

I still have a lot to do, but that's a start. I will have my application into the Texas system within 2 weeks (even if I don't sleep), because May 15th I fly to Europe for 3 weeks, so by definition my Primaries for Texas will be done by then. As for AAMC, may or may not be done, but I will try. There are only a few school I will apply to in the AAMC (on the east cost and around Texas)

That’s a fantastic start, Redo… I’m right there with you, so far. Leave it to Texas to have their own system! (I was born there, so I can say that. )

My personal statement has been a year long process, and it’s complete as of about a month ago. My LORs are ‘in the can.’ I have copies of all my transcripts (to enter my grades), and request forms ready to go for the formal transcripts.

Like you, I am constricted to about a 4 hour radius of Nashville–so I will only be applying to 5 schools.

I really should start working on those secondary essays–that’s not a bad idea. Although one of my “main” schools doesn’t require a secondary essay, another one is a very extensive secondary…so they average out.

I’m having a hard time believing that it’s actually “our turn.”

Wow. Time really did go quickly!

not sure but i think one of the admins needs to start it and make it a sticky. i’ll be glad to help answer questions in regards to the MD process as it’s still fairly fresh in my mind. rooting for you guys to have a successful application season!

Thanks carrie. Well at least we’ll keep ourselves motivated. Sounds like we are off to a good start. Hopefully the interviews and acceptances will follow.

And desert, thanks as well. I look forward to reading your recommendations.

I’ll keep cheking it as well, kind of a threadjack, but anyone heard from pixie lately. I took a break from here for a month or so.

Hey Bailey

funny you mention pixie, I though about her a few weeks back, wondering what is happening to her. I don’t think she posted anything in past few weeks/months.

I didn’t think I had seen here in my skim over the stuff I missed. Last I heard she will be in WV with Kate next year.

I’ve been wondering the same thing about Pixie! I hope all is well with her.

I will also chime in to answer questions for those applying in the coming cycle! In fact, I’ll start with a piece of advice - if you think there’s even the slightest chance you’ll be accepted (and I doubt you would bother applying if you didn’t think you had a chance), PUT YOUR HOUSE ON THE MARKET NOW. Better to be in transition housing until you relocate than to be stuck paying the mortgage on a house you’re not living in. And part 2 of this advice - DON’T COUNT ON YOUR STATE SCHOOL. Yes, it would be nice (ahem - lucky Shawn) but, contrary to popular belief, it is not a given that if you’re accepted anywhere, it will be your state school. Also, applying early doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll know where you’ve been accepted early. It is a ridiculously long process, and no matter how early you apply, you may not know where you’re going until March or April. This was something I had not counted on.

Pixie was out of the country for about a month… but she’s back! She and her husband just found a house in WV and signed a lease today–so they are busy getting ready to move, figuring out what to get rid of, etc. Busy, busy!

Facebook is amazing.

I just joined FB this past week to get in touch with my class. I know I’m a loser…

• redo-it-all Said:
Well my focus is Texas so I will be applying to the Texas system and the AAMC system but not the DO system. Not that I have anything against DO. In fact, the DO school in Texas uses the Texas system so that will be the only DO school I will be applying to. I just don't have the bandwidth to apply to all these systems. My major concern is location so the closest school (MD) is top choice, the next closest the DO is 2nd and so on...

So far I have the following done:

• LORs on Interfolio
  • Transcript requests prepared
  • Transcripts ready to send out (for TX system)
  • Copies of Transcripts for me to enter courses
  • Credential evaluation done (for foreign courses)
  • Plan of course I will take during glide year
  • Sheet on how I financed school so far
  • Personal statement edited multiple times
  • Optional essay 1, need optional essay 2

I still have a lot to do, but that's a start. I will have my application into the Texas system within 2 weeks (even if I don't sleep), because May 15th I fly to Europe for 3 weeks, so by definition my Primaries for Texas will be done by then. As for AAMC, may or may not be done, but I will try. There are only a few school I will apply to in the AAMC (on the east cost and around Texas)

Hey Redo, I live right behind Baylor, inside the Med Center. If you're every down here for interviews or what not let me know; we'll catch a bite to eat or something.

Hi Julio

it will be my pleasure. I will sure keep your offer in mind, and hope that I will have the opportunity to meet you.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Amen to that, Switzerland. I’m at the end of year 2, Have paid mtg 10 or 12 mos out of the past 3 years - had tenants some of the time. It’s still not sellable in my area.

Kate