Back for Postbac, thoughts?

Greetings, I am glad to be in your company.

I’m a former bio major pre-med who switched to liberal arts after organic I. Now, 5 years later, I have come to question the wisdom of that decision. After graduating with a BA and working in the private sector for three years, I still have the desire to go for the MD. I am just now realizing that I only have one life. I don’t want to have any regrets.

I have mentally decided to go for it again, now I am just waiting for the summer 13 semester to roll around so I can dive in! I am married, no kids, and I do work full time as the primary breadwinner (hoping my wife picks up some work soon so I can focus on studying a little more). Anyway, I have 6 classes, by my estimation, to complete to fulfill the premed prereqs:

Stats, Calc, Phys I & II, Organic II, Bio II (I’ve already taken anatomy I & II, microbiology, biology I, and gen chem I & II).

My current job is pretty flexible-- I work as a claims adjuster and can schedule my own appointments. While still working 40+ hours a week, is two classes a semester possible? I was thinking:

Summer: Stats & Bio 2

Fall: Calc and Phys I

Spring: Phys II & Organic II

Too much?

Your thoughts, please.

Possible but not advisable. Look at it this way, what if you will only be allowed to apply to med school once and after that never again. You have to give it EVERYTHING you’ve got and trying to plow through in three semesters with a job is just not the best approach. You might be able and if you are then God bless you for that. I would say the only way I would advise someone to do this is if they have a track record of a exceptionally high GPA and work ethic.

• croooz Said:
Possible but not advisable. Look at it this way, what if you will only be allowed to apply to med school once and after that never again. You have to give it EVERYTHING you've got and trying to plow through in three semesters with a job is just not the best approach. You might be able and if you are then God bless you for that. I would say the only way I would advise someone to do this is if they have a track record of a exceptionally high GPA and work ethic.

+1

Thanks for the input. Would you advise only one class per semester for the physics and organic?

Also, anyone have recommended resources for brushing up on gen chem, bio, and organic I?

• trandahl Said:
Thanks for the input. Would you advise only one class per semester for the physics and organic?

Also, anyone have recommended resources for brushing up on gen chem, bio, and organic I?

Yep.

I'm using the Cliffnotes for Chemistry1. For chemistry and organic there are "second language" books. For all of them there is the Khan academy. www.khanacademy.org

Congrats on starting your journey! Your plan is possible. I am currently in my 1st year of medical school at 34y/o and was in the same boat as you with job and marriage when I made the jump. I worked an average of 45 hours a week, also with a flexible but demanding job. This was my class load.

fall-bio1+lab, chem1+lab, calculus

Spring-bio2+lab, chem2+lab, Physics1+lab

Summer-Physics 2+lab, Organic 1, Organic 2 (MCAT sept)

Fall-microbio, biochem1, Organic Lab

Spring-biochem2, genetics+lab, P.Chem

I finished my post bacc with a 3.9 but it was far from easy as I am far from the genius type and had to study my tail off for those grades. Many late nights, early mornings and lost weekends. I would do it all over again as I am living my dream and was more than prepared for the challenge of medical school when I started. I will say 100% understanding and support from the MRS was a must. She was and still is my rock as we chase our dream. Good Luck!

• celticdoc2016 Said:
Congrats on starting your journey! Your plan is possible. I am currently in my 1st year of medical school at 34y/o and was in the same boat as you with job and marriage when I made the jump. I worked an average of 45 hours a week, also with a flexible but demanding job. This was my class load.

fall-bio1+lab, chem1+lab, calculus

Spring-bio2+lab, chem2+lab, Physics1+lab

Summer-Physics 2+lab, Organic 1, Organic 2 (MCAT sept)

Fall-microbio, biochem1, Organic Lab

Spring-biochem2, genetics+lab, P.Chem

I finished my post bacc with a 3.9 but it was far from easy as I am far from the genius type and had to study my tail off for those grades. Many late nights, early mornings and lost weekends. I would do it all over again as I am living my dream and was more than prepared for the challenge of medical school when I started. I will say 100% understanding and support from the MRS was a must. She was and still is my rock as we chase our dream. Good Luck!

Wow, that is impressive. Hats off to you, and congrats on getting in. That seems like a massive courseload to take while working 45+ a week. I had a great GPA in college, 3.9, but I also only worked on weekends. How did you fit in work and class? Did you only go to campus 2 times a week? 3? I am still ironing out the details.

As I mentioned, I am waiting for May 2013 until I can get in on picking up post bacc classes. In the mean time, I am reviewing my past pre req courses which I took in 2006-2008. So far, I have:

Bought a health sciences oriented general chem and organic chem text by Timberlake called “Chemistry.” I am working through the book from the front cover, reviewing the basics of general chem, and then it will delve back into organic. I am supplementing it with Khan Academy lectures. I am definitely wiping off the cobwebs of my brain and reintroducing everything from significant figures to reactions, etc.

I have also ordered Cliff’s Quick Review of Precalc, Bio, Gen Chem, and a book called Organic Chem as a Second Language. I plan on reviewing these systematically.

When I go back to school in May, I won’t be jumping right in to chem, but probably bio 2 and applied statistics first. Anyway, I feel okay with my chem review, but am wondering if you guys have any input.

Also, math was not a strong suit for me-- I got a C in precalc as an undergrad and never dared to venture into calc (however, going to artillery officer course for the Marines spun me up on basic math and work ethic!). I am going to take applied statistics and calc before I take the MCAT (that’s the plan now). Any advise on refreshing precalc/algebra that I can be working on before I start school again?

Also, do you guys think I need to take statistics? Or should just calc be okay?

Thank you! My wife and I were just chatting over dinner about what a wild ride the last 3 years has been and we have to pinch ourselves to realize that I am already over halfway done with my 1st year of med school. To your question…Class was M-Th typically, I think one semester I had 1 class on Friday. The labs were the most time consuming part during the day. On a side note, my university wouldn’t allow me to take Physics w/o having completed Calc. May want to double check that with your school to make sure if you haven’t already…I would also check what time each class is offered as that went into my timing for class selection as well as I couldn’t afford a “break” in between classes. As far as Stats, My mentor said he highly recommended I take it, but I was accepted a year earlier than I thought I would be so I didn’t have it and I do not feel disadvantaged at all in school. I would take any higher level science you can, genetics, biochem, etc have all been very helpful, and my schools adcom looks on those courses highly. Best of luck…this site gave me great information and inspiration when I was starting my journey so I hope this helps you with yours.