Backup plans?

Hi folks, I know this has been asked before, but I’d like to take another look at this issue…

What, if anything, have people thought about if the “worst case” scenario of not getting into any medical school comes about?

I myself am in the process of applying to post bac programs; let me make this clear, I have complete faith in my abilities. BUT - I’ve been around the block once or twice and know that it’s smart to take all options into consideration.

(and no, assembling information of this type will not make me any less “gung-ho” about med school)

I guess what I’m asking is: are the pre-med courses applicable to other professions? PA? NP?

I believe the basic sciences also apply to PA, not too sure about the NP programs. However, I do know that many of the NP programs have a GRE component to them.

Hope that helps.

They are applicable to PA schools, and also I think biochem is generally a must. Admission to PA schools is generally at least as competitive as medical school. NP school…not so much, but you have to do nursing first - 4 years. Might get away with 3 depending on other courses in your background. Then 2-3 years for a Master’s of Science in Nursing to get your NP. By then, it’s possible that a doctorate will be required to be and NP (as that is what the American Nursing Association is encouraging…foolishly to my way of thinking.) So…PA is definately a shorter route unless you are already a nurse.

Kate

Well you don’t need Physics for PA school. You also will need Micro and A&P for PA school along with Developmental Psych. Some schools also require Biochem now. So even if you apply to med school and are not accepted you will have to take extra courses for PA school…and explain “why not med school?..you seem to have taken all the prereqs for it…”

Some undergrads even have “pre-PA” tracks or “pre-Allied Health” tracks because the course work why similar initially deviates. Really it’s the Bio1, Chem1&2, and Orgo1&2 then things deviate with the Micro… Things might change after 2015 when the MCAT changes and med schools follow suit in changing the premed curriculum.

I think it is wise to look at the worst case scenario. Yet, let me say (and I believe this community has proven it many times), if you put your heart and mind to it, you will very likely go to Med School.

If you set a realistic plan, and pretty much anyone who did on this site, ended up going to Med School.

Good luck.

• croooz Said:
Well you don't need Physics for PA school.

Some schools actually DO require physics and some would take the MCAT instead of the GRE.

Things could have changed but I think it's safe to say that not every school has the same requirements for admission.

Another thing to consider with PA schools is that getting admitted used to be harder than getting into med school, stats wise. Not sure if this is still true though.

• pathdr2b Said:
  • croooz Said:
Well you don't need Physics for PA school.

Things could have changed but I think it's safe to say that not every school has the same requirements for admission.

Another thing to consider with PA schools is that getting admitted used to be harder than getting into med school, stats wise. Not sure if this is still true though.

I second these comments. I can tell you that my Medical School has a PA program and stat wise it is much more competitive than the Med School (which by the way is within the top 25). Of course most do not require the MCAT, but I won't be surprised if that becomes a requirements as well. Given the very large pool of applicants, which is growing, PA programs will very likely become more stringent. I don't really see PA programs as a super backup plan quite frankly because the odds of making it in appear worse than Med School. Although a major benefit it affords to student is that the MCAT is not necessary (plus training time/salary ratio). I haven't looked at this option personally. Just hear say.

Wow, I had no idea the PA track was so competitive! Sheesh.

Anyway, thanks all… good info.

• AGPosell Said:
Wow, I had no idea the PA track was so competitive! Sheesh.

Anyway, thanks all... good info.

Oh yeah, it really is, mainly because of MCAT avoidance. Many bright students don't want to bother with the daunting test. Although if you were to take it and score decently, that would make you very competitive for a PA program.

Competitive or not, you have to decide which way to go. Both will require time and effort. It is all matter of what YOU want to do.

Don’t fall for the hype about the MCAT. My buddy had a great MCAT score and he’s in med school now because PA schools blew him off. He received 2 interviews and at both was asked With your stats why didn’t you apply to med school? You should be in med school. I also know some schools do NOT accept the MCAT in lieu of the GRE. At this point the PA adcoms can be selective and accept those students who “really want to be PA’s.”

Some of the other posters are correct: PA and NP schools would rather take applicants who really want to be PAs and NPs. If that is what you want, then that is what you should do. While I think avoidance of the MCAT is a poor reason for choosing PA or NP, I am sure that some applicants go that route for that very reason. The best reason to be an NP or PA is because it fits your model of health care and what you want to be doing.

You should also familiarize yourself with the advantages and disadvantages of being a mid-level practitioner.

Also, do not discount offshore and international medical schools. I realize that this site (OPM) is geared towards older individuals who want to go to U.S./Canadian medical schools, so that is the orientation of its advice and suggestions, etc. Also, given the advent of new medical schools in the U.S., there a risk of fewer residency slots for IMGs and FMGs. Nevertheless, for some, foreign medical schools have been and remain a successful option.