Beyond the Basics?

I am just starting this journey, and I’m scheduling my chemistry and physics classes for this year. I’m planning to take the biology and organic chemistry next year. I was told recently that I should also take as many other science classes as I can, because the pre-reqs that medical schools list are just the basics. I have a B.A. and M.A., but not in the sciences, so I have few other science courses (I did take human anatomy back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). Any suggestions on other classes to take? I’m also thinking about taking EMT classes and getting some experience there to help with my application. Is that more important than other hard science classes? SUGGESTIONS?!

• southpawknuckler Said:
I am just starting this journey, and I'm scheduling my chemistry and physics classes for this year. I'm planning to take the biology and organic chemistry next year. I was told recently that I should also take as many other science classes as I can, because the pre-reqs that medical schools list are just the basics. I have a B.A. and M.A., but not in the sciences, so I have few other science courses (I did take human anatomy back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). Any suggestions on other classes to take? I'm also thinking about taking EMT classes and getting some experience there to help with my application. Is that more important than other hard science classes? SUGGESTIONS?!

Hey Southpaw!

My own goal for this year is to take the physics and organic chemistry which will forfill my prereqs, and then next year, I'm planning on biochemistry, physiology and genetics.

And I'm looking forward to each and every one of them

Hi SouthPaw,

I am in the same boat you are. I meet with ASU this afternoon to go over these details and I am trying to get a grip on a basic roadmap I will need. I haven’t taken math classes in years although every one of them I did take, I aced with no problem. I am wondering if I need to brush up on my college algebra and others. I need to find out if the physics class they offer is algebra or calculus based. If it’s calculus based, I guess I am screwed for now and will have to learn that ahead of time. I never took calculus. Does anyone know if there are any recommomended and/or required math pre-reqs for pre-med to jump start the first year of pre-med? I hope to take physics and general chemistry this fall and then next year, biology and organic chem but I guess that depends on the math component. Thoughts anyone?

Hey Guys…

I have just started on this road too. I am taking Calc I this summer and Expository writing (wanted to brush up on my writing skills before coming back) though I haven’t actually taken any Upper division classes yet I have spent enough perusing the boards to speak honestly.

Most people say that Genetics, Cell Bio and Biochem tend to be very helpful in addition to the pre-reqs as far as studying for the MCAT. Some lump Physiology in there as well. It seems it should add a few brownie points to your app as well. I keep hearing that what you learn in an entire semester of Biochem they review in a WEEK in med school though so some feel it is not worth it. I plan to take them, but I am dsoing the full-time second degree GPA repair route so I am doing the entire Bio BS as well as the pre-reqs. There is all sorts of info posted…

Jerilyn, as far as the Math if memory serves me right that Chem requires basic Algebra, basically equation manipulation. I am taking Chem this fall too. It expired for me, and to be honest I am sure repeating it will help. Ultimately, eventhough I took it long ago and I don’t remember the math to be all that difficult. Physics I am not sure about, that one is new for me. I don’t plan to take it until FA10 I would definitely check to see if you are in Calc based or Algebra based section though.

Good-luck guys!!

Having just taken the MCAT 3 weeks ago, I would agree with taking Cell Bio, Genetics and Biochem. I’m not a bio major, so I was at a severe disadvantage for the Biological Sciences section (you can only learn so much from a Kaplan manual!). I’m strong in Organic Chem, but unfortunately the BS section is not 50/50 but more like 75% Bio to 25% Orgo.

For those accepted to medical school, I’ve heard from former pre-meds that A & P is a good course to take. I’ve also heard the same thing, that you’ll blow past everything you’ve learn in your undergraduate courses in about 2 weeks, but it makes the transition easier.

YMMV.

Doug

Most med students I have spoken to seemed to think biochemistry is the killer course in med school. A good background in that will help both in getting into med school as well as performing n medical school.

If your are doing your own “informal” post-bacc and you have been out school for a while, then a few upper level bio would be a good idea. All the course previously mentioned, Biochem, Genetics, Molecular Bio, A&P, etc. Just remember don’t overload as in “rule #5: don’t risk bad grades by taking too much”