biochem and physiology

anybody have any recommendations for a good biochemistry or physiology textbook/study aids?

Lippincott is THE study aid for biochemistry. No explanations or nitty-gritty but you can't beat it for illustrations of the @#$%!! Krebs cycle and all those damn gluconeogenesis pathways and such like.

QUOTE (kellykellykellysmith @ Jan 3 2003, 06:56 PM)
anybody have any recommendations for a good biochemistry or physiology textbook/study aids?

Hi there,
If you can get a copy of the CD called "Essentials of Physiology" by Gold Standard Multimedia, you will have a gem. This CD totally loads to your computer and will be invaluable through demostrations, videos and graphs. It makes mastery of difficult aspects of physiology very easy with it's demos. There are also cases on this gem that will give you some applied physio while you are learning. This was an awesome asset for me during my physio class.
If you can't get this CD-ROM, then I like BRS "Physiology" (The blue book with the checkerboard pattern). Do beware that this is a review of physiology so use it to supplement your learning but not replace it. The NMS Physiology is pretty good too but is very dense. The best Physiology text for me was Guyton's Medical Physiology. It is a classical standard. Again, you will see these graphs and charts on USMLE Step I. There is a small Guyton supplementary handbook that goes with the text.
I used Lippincott's Biochemistry. This is a complete resource and can supplement any text. I used Devlin's Biochemistry 4th edition for a text but Lippincott in addition to your class notes is almost all you need.
Natalie

Gotta agree with Mary & njbmd on the Lipincotts for biochem. I also used the BRS biochem review book.
Can't give any input on phys yet as I don't have that until the Spring.