bombed Orgo--now what???

Re: Your advice on not repeating courses. I took basic sciences in the early 1980’s and did decent except for a C in organic (first semester).
When told about the age of these prerequisites course, some med schools told me to repeat these courses. I do not mind doing this, although it does delay my application to medical school a few years, but at this stage of my premedical path, perhaps a few years won’t any difference (I’m over 40 anyway).
Do you feel that repeating old courses would hinder my acceptance to medical school? I understand that some schools will only look at my first grades, while other schools will accept the more recent grade. One plus to all this extra work is that it will prepare me for the new MCAT.
I recently finished Introductory Chemistry (taken on the advice of a premedical post-bacc advisor) and came away with an A. So it’s a start!

I recently had a discussion with my Intro to Chem professor on how she aced Orgo when she was an undergrad (she came away with a 98% average).
Her strategy was to fully understand chemical bonding, lone pair electrons, valence structures, resonance forms, and electronegativity. Using this knowledge, she was able to predict which atoms would attach to which other atoms, and thus how reactions would progress. She also broke down all the interactions into groups by their underlying pathways. She said that there are at lesat 26 common pathways or reaction patterns. With this approach, she reduced the amount of material she had to memorize considerably, and for her Orgo was more of a strategy course than a memorization course.
If you decide to retake Orgo, ask your professor how she or he goes about solving orgo problems. "What goes on in your mind when you see a problem like xxxx?"
Whether to retake the course: It depends upon how much this course would impact whether or not you get a decent grade in future courses. You did not say whether this is first or second semester Orgo, but if you need to take a second semester, understanding the first part may be essential.
Also, there is Orgo on the MCAT.

Hope this helps.

Thanks nahani2 for your suggestions. I am indeed taking organic chem again, the summer school 7 week course. I’ll take Physics in the fall and spring semesters, spread out over 8 months as nature intended it to be.
I have heard some people say to not repeat courses. I thought it over and decided that what I really want to do is master the subject before moving on, and if medical schools can’t accept that, well then I’m not going to medical school.
So far, summer school ochem at Harvard is as different from the night school course as possibly can be. Great teachers, good textbook, emphasis on how things work, everything really well organized… I can’t be more pleased. And did I mention the great teachers??? Wow. My faith has been restored.
The other thing I’ve learned about myself is that I enjoy the intensity of summer school. 5 days a week, about 8 hours a day of lecture, section, and help session. It’s a blast! Well now back to studying.

Terry,
I’m so glad that you’re enjoying the class now. I do remember how discouraged and negative you were about the whole Organic thing in DC…
Don’t loose your enthusiasm! And this time you’ll rock in this class
Kasia