Bought first stethescope--am very excited!

Today was a big day! I bought my first stethescope and a textbook on how to do exams and take histories recommended by the doctor in the ER I am shadowing! Oh and I bounced a big check… ha ha, just kidding. No, but the stethescope plus book was not cheap. It cost almost as much as a ticket to an interview, which seems to be my primary unit for measuring the prices of things these days. (I used to compare things against the price of a cafe latte, now I compare them against flights to interviews on Air Tran.) I got a Littman Cardiology III. I hope that’s a good one!
I realize that this is hardly Channel 5 Eyewitness News level stuff I am reporting, in fact it is only marginally worthy of its own thread, but I am really psyched! I will be going back to the hospital next week for more shadowing. Hopefully by then I will not be putting the stethescope on backwards anymore. I have always liked the ER so this should be very exciting. I especially like the ER now that my existence there is known by someone other than myself and the linen basket (which was my main responsibility as a volunteer).
Has anyone else shadowed an ER doc? Any advice on how to get the most out of it?
Oh, and I haven’t fainted yet either, I am happy to say.

That’s great! I look at my stet and otoscope and think “I’ll use them when I get to clinicals”. Then I’m able to study a little more.
Yes the littman cardiology III is a great stet. ( I have one, used it as an RN). Have you spent time in Fast Track or some thing like it? Fast track is where they see colds,sprains and simple cuts. Good for understanding minor problems and quick DX.

What is Fast Track? Is it a class or something? Sounds interesting!

The year I worked in the ER ( time of the DODO) we had an area of the ER for simple problems as triaged. We called that fast track ER.
Quick DX and quick to treat and D/C ( if you call quick 2-3 hours).

CONGRATULATIONS Pushkin! I am so excited for you!! I too am very interested in the ER so to hear of your opportunity to shadow is very exciting!! Please post any information you learn, as one day I hope to benefit from your learning experience! Once again Congrats!!
Sandy

Quote:

CONGRATULATIONS Pushkin! I am so excited for you!! I too am very interested in the ER so to hear of your opportunity to shadow is very exciting!! Please post any information you learn, as one day I hope to benefit from your learning experience! Once again Congrats!!
Sandy

Thanks! I bet you are going to regret that you asked me about shadowing though–it’s the only thing I’ve been talking about for two weeks and I have no urge to stop anytime soon! :slight_smile:
It’s so cool. I follow this doctor around and learn about each of his patients. I listen to their lungs and hearts and generally observe them. I get put on the spot a lot–having to answer questions about how sick the patients look and exactly why or why not. It’s amazing to me how observant the physicians have to be when they go to see a patient. I mean, there is so much to pay attention to. Way more than I ever realized during the times I’ve been a patient myself.
Last time I shadowed there was a cardiac arrest resuscitation and a couple other major emergencies. I got to watch everything. Pretty soon I am supposed to start helping take histories. In the meantime I’ve gotten some reading assignments. So I have been busy.
It’s completely fun. I fell into this by luck, and it’s just the best situation. I’m sure I will love other specialties when I actually rotate through them during medical school, but there is something about emergency medicine where everyone’s so friendly and team oriented–and also very focused. The only sad thing is that I have a day job so I can’t be there at all times.

I would love to hear about your experience. Are you in Med school now? If not, are you working on your pre-req’s? If so , where are you in the process? How did you get this opportunity? I would love this sort of opportunity but don’t know how to go about it and if I am at the right “stage” to go about shadowing. Any details would be helpful.
Sandy

Quote:

I would love to hear about your experience. Are you in Med school now? If not, are you working on your pre-req’s? If so , where are you in the process? How did you get this opportunity? I would love this sort of opportunity but don’t know how to go about it and if I am at the right “stage” to go about shadowing. Any details would be helpful.
Sandy

I’m a premed. I’m starting med school in the fall, and I’ve been done with my prereqs for about a year. The way I got this opportunity was that I knew some of the doctors in the ER, and they agreed to let me follow them around, and then they got more and more enthusiastic about teaching me stuff. It was just luck for me, but I’m sure there are plenty of doctors out there who would love to have premeds follow them around. I would say that wherever you are in the process, shadowing would be worthwhile. Not that every experience is equally fruitful, but at least it’s some additional exposure. Anyway, it never hurts to ask people!