BS is 2 old, great MCAT's -not enough..U need more

remember we are NON-TRADITIONAL. As in, not doing things the conventional way. The conventional way of going through college and then going straight into med school is still the default option for the majority of medical students at US medical schools. And that’s the simple, no-brainer reason why med school websites don’t go into any detail about how old coursework is allowed to be. For MOST med school applicants, the age of the coursework is not an issue.
I know someone who got into U. of Oregon some years ago with 20-year-old prerequisites and ONE recent course, biochem (which she aced). She’s a significant exception, however. I don’t know why it seems unreasonable to you that schools would want to know if you can still “hack it” academically after being out of school for awhile. It seems a reasonable enough expectation, as the work world is very different from an academic setting.
And those schools that insist that prereqs be less than a certain age don’t seem unreasonable to me, either. Especially in things like molecular biology, old coursework means outdated knowledge.
I know it sounds harsh, but I’m fond of saying, “It’s their game, their ball, and their rules.” It’s a big waste of energy to rail against this particular establishment; your energy is much better applied to finding out just what you need to do to meet - actually, EXCEED - their expectations. Good luck!
Mary

Quote:

Okay I am not sure if you realize just how difficult getting 12’s on each section of the MCAT really is…not saying that you cannot do this but it is easier said than done. So yeah if you end up with a 36 most schools will make some allowances but that is a very teenie tiny amount of the folks taking it that will get even close to that score…just fyi.

Just want to !!! what efex said here. It’s kind of like the pH scale, 1 point higher on the pH scale is 10x more concentration of H+ molecules gadding about your test tube. The difference between getting 10’s and 12’s is an huge (and not readily apparent) increase in study, not incremental.

Thanks…I know

THANK YOU!!!

well, almost all my pre-reqs are over 10 years old, so we’ll see if i get any interviews! i got an above average mcat score (33), so hopefully that will be enough for them to overlook the age of my classes.

one of the schools i applied to - cornell - stated in their website that they require courses to be less than 10 years old. when i explained my situation to them, they said “well, maybe you just need recent bio courses.” then when i told them about my masters degree in bioengineering from 2004, they said that was fine.

always take things with a grain of salt, and if you’re really curious, call or email the adcom of each individual school…