Calculus is killing me

I haven’t been on here in a while. I am taking the last of my prerequisites that I need (I was deficient a few classes).

One of them is calculus - it is online - no lecture - no help!

I think, maybe, if I had more time, I’d breeze through it, but right now, I am working two jobs, our house is listed for sale, we are trying to find a place to live in another state by June, I am overwhelmed.

If anyone is a calculus genius and can help me wrap up some of the finer details, I’d sure appreciate it. Until this class is over in March, I won’t be on here much because I will be trying for at least a C in this dang class.

Last night, I even had a dream about derivatives. it was not a good dream.

Send me a message if you’d like, even if just to commiserate.

Terevet

I might be able to help, it’s been 7 or 8 years now, but i went up to calc 4 for my bachelor’s in engineering. Have you tried Khan Academy? I have never watched any of their calc videos but everything I have watched from them has been phenomenal.

-JB

I too really like Khan Academy. I also use calcchat.com If they have your book, it is a great resource. Another option i’ve used would be chegg. They have a homework section related to just about every textbook, they do charge a monthly fee however; they have all of the problems completely worked out step by step. I hope this helps, hang in there!

Hey Terevet,

MIT has an entire calc course on their OpenCourseware Scholar website as well as a “Highlights of Calculus” lecture series on YouTube. If I get stuck, I tend to browse through their stuff for help. I remember liking some of Khan Academy’s calc stuff for general overview in calc 1, but it wasn’t particularly helpful if I hit a sticky spot in a particular problem. Wolfram Alpha also has calculators for derivatives/integrals that I’ve sometimes used to check my work or to see if I’m heading in the right direction…but it’s not much help if you’ve no idea where to start. Frankly, typing the problem into Google can also sometimes yield useful Yahoo!Answers entries. All of these are merely in addition to reading the book, of course. My first calc prof swore by reading the book and working through the examples on your own after doing so–it took me far too long to appreciate the wisdom of that approach.

All that said, in my experience, NOTHING beats just working problems. Even if it initially feels like you’re bushwhacking your way through with the help of the book/online videos, if you pay attention to the steps you’re taking or the mistakes you make and have to fix, in the end I think it’s a lot more worthwhile than anything else. I basically just do as many problems as I can for any given section as we work through it. Then I do random problems from the sections and/or the chapter review as the way I review for tests.

Remind yourself that it isn’t magic, it’s math. You are just adding a few more tools to the tools you’ve learned in all your other math classes. It’s like climbing a ladder, not learning to fly.

Lastly, I always find dreaming about a subject somewhat encouraging–I mean, at least it’s in there somewhere.

Hope this helps. Or is at least encouraging. And be assured that none of this precludes the occasional string of profanity when I sit down to do my calc homework.

~CA

Hey Terevet,

I simply took a textbook and like it was said before, work problems. I clepped out of calculus for a 78/80 and reviewed the book content about 4h a day for a week, plus the Saturday and Sunday about 6h/day. So it is not that hard if you put your mind to it. But with so much going on around you right now, finding time to focus on useless problems might be the challenge.

Khanacademy is also very helpful, I remember that at times, it did clarify a few obscure points. I had a textbook, I will find the info. It was really well done and not too hard to understand.

I feel your pain and can totally empathize with you terevet.

Ch.2 text next week and it sucks…royally!