Can I do this to my family?

I was pre-med undergradute 1,000 (OK, 25) years ago, I’m studying for the MCATs and getting my million ducks in a row, but what is stopping me is the thought of third year Med school and (especially) residency because I have 4 school age daughters and it seems like I will be AWOL from the family for so much of the time. Would love LOVE to hear from someone who has been down this path before me. p.s. – I’m the Dad, if that really matters.

I am embarking on this road myself. I asked myself that and answered with this question: If I keep on the same path I am now and don’t go, could I possibly do THAT to my family? Once you get out of medical school it’s like going to work (albeit double the hours, lol). I can only imagine that you will serve as a fine role model to them. That they see you doing something you truly love will let them know that anything at anytime may be possible!

25 years to hold onto a dream.

What in 10 years will feel better, the realization of that dream or 10 more years of wishing?

You are I are more kindred spirits than you know. I am also the dad and I have 4 daughters (9, 6, 4, and 3 months). I am now a 4th year medical student. It is very, very hard to do but the 3 older daughters really understand. I am now pulling my hair out because I am studying for boards and it is taking all of my free time. But when I do spend time with the family, it is of very high quality.

The best part is that we are doing this together. At times, I have taken my eldest with me to the library for her to be on the computer and me to read. I cannot spend a lot of time right now as I am two days out from my boards, but here is my blog ( blog ) for you to see what I am doing.

When I am done with boards, I will write more here, I promise.

• gabelerman Said:
You are I are more kindred spirits than you know. I am also the dad and I have 4 daughters (9, 6, 4, and 3 months). I am now a 4th year medical student. It is very, very hard to do but the 3 older daughters really understand. I am now pulling my hair out because I am studying for boards and it is taking all of my free time. But when I do spend time with the family, it is of very high quality.

The best part is that we are doing this together. At times, I have taken my eldest with me to the library for her to be on the computer and me to read. I cannot spend a lot of time right now as I am two days out from my boards, but here is my blog ( blog ) for you to see what I am doing.

When I am done with boards, I will write more here, I promise.

Do you still play pancake diner with them on sunday morning! maybe we'll have a pancake breakfast fundraiser sometim

Wow, thanks. That’s really helpful. I think the best thing about the internet is to find out that others have faced the same things you are contemplating. I look forward to keeping uo with yourblog.