Can I overcome my obstacles and get through med school?

Hi All, I would appreciate any comment as you can, especially if you have been in similar situations.

I am 44, never finished a bachelor degree, and am attending college part time right now. I currently make a good salary as a software programmer but most all of my money goes to expenses and very ugly debts from bad investments.

I am ready to make the leap to a meaningful existence in medicine but have some major concerns, as could be expected.

I see the fact that I never completed a bachelor as a good opportunity for me to get my prereq math and science completed while being able to get a loan or maybe eventually some aid since I would be considered a degree seeking student.

What I have going for me: I am single, no kids, no mortgage to worry about.

What I DON’T have going for me:

1 - Age, of course… to step back and get my science and math prerequisites done I estimate at least 1.5 years before I get a bachelors degree.

2 - MONEY… I am just little better than making ends meet right now and know that shortly I will have to stop working my 60 hours a week to focus on school… I would have to quit my current job because of required duties and time commitment. I am seriously considering cashing in my small retirment 401K - that would pay off my bills and give me enough to focus on good grades up to the end of my bachelors degree. But what then… I will basically be jobless and moneyless… Is this any kind of position to be in when trying to get into med school? Is is feasible to think I might be completely financed by loans, aid, scholarships for my entire post bachelor/medical school career?

Also, considering I am 44 and 1.5 years from earning a bachelors, what is a realistic timeline of completeing medical school? As I get from some other posts I see my post bachelor education taking around 6 years.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

I don’t have all of the answers but I’ll offer this as for the timing. Most people pursuing a four year degree typically complete their prereqs and MCAT before and during the third year, then apply to medical school during their fourth year while they take other classes (i.e. upper level science classes, liberal arts requirements). If it’s too late for you to schedule your classes for that type of timing, then you would be in a situation similar to what I was. I completed my post-bacc and had a “glide year” where I was going to be unemployed while I applied to med school. During my post-bacc I had volunteered at the hospital (where I ironically ended up going to med school). I was then hired to work there full-time during my glide year as a nurses aide (now called a patient care tech). This helped me get a deeper knowledge of medicine while earning some money (though not nearly what I was making in my prior career).

Hope my random ramblings help a little.

• tec Said:

I completed my post-bacc and had a "glide year" where I was going to be unemployed while I applied to med school. During my post-bacc I had volunteered at the hospital (where I ironically ended up going to med school). I was then hired to work there full-time during my glide year as a nurses aide (now called a patient care tech).

Ironic indeed! And humorous. Makes for a good story, tec.

And also for a good lesson--I, too, had been wondering what to do with my glide year. I had actually looked at patient care tech jobs in the past, just out of curiosity, and found that some (though not all) require experiece, and sometimes "official" certifications (i.e., phlebotomy, nursing assistant, and/or CPR). Others, however, require only "healthcare experience." At least, this was my experience when I looked at pt care tech jobs in Chicago on www.indeed.com (I also looked at them just now, for kicks, and my past observations were confirmed).

Another possible option is becoming a TA during your glide year (if you do well in your pre-req classes and develop a good relationship with a professor). At least, I know that in my post-bac program, they choose several "graduating" students to be TA's during their glide year. The TA's get a stipend, as well as the option to take more upper-division courses (tuition is waived). Pretty sweet deal, and excellent experience.