Celebrations II

HI all! Looked like it was time to start another celebrations thread!
I’m celebrating the fact that this is the year I apply to medical school! There were days (months) rolleyes.gif when I felt like this time would never get here… Org II and MCAT, here I come!
Theresa

Hey - I’m celebrating the fact that we just took down ALL the babygates in our house!!! Whoohooo! Our youngest is now 2.5 and potty-trained (over Christmas break) to boot.
Life is getting easier rolleyes.gif !!

Life is getting easier

Ohhhhh I shouldn't do this but I just can't help it. We just returned from dinner with our 16 y/o where the main topics were: the search for boyfriends among her and her friends; what went on at the party at her friend's house where no parents were in residence; how to play beer pong (explanation provided by our 20 y/o); her college-age friend who, when asked about her boyfriend, replied, "We're not going out; we're sleeping together." blink.gif
Just wait. Meantime, enjoy the easier life! laugh.gif

OMG, I would just die! He he

See, I was a ‘bad girl’ in h.s. so none of this fazes me TOO much. But my husband… !!! He was totally freaking out. It was pretty funny tongue.gif
And today my mom told me how much she enjoys my daughter’s stories (apparently she tells Grandma a LOT) - my mom sure has mellowed out since I was a teenager! But then my mom also laughs and says, “But she’s not my problem!” True enough.

ttt
And, my Kaplan diagnostic test was a respectable score! I CAN do it! biggrin.gif
Theresa

Wife and I bought our first house biggrin.gif
On the downside… I now know what a ‘Honey-Do’ list is ohmy.gif

QUOTE (JNormandin @ Jan 30 2003, 09:16 PM)
Wife and I bought our first house biggrin.gif
On the downside.. I now know what a 'Honey-Do' list is ohmy.gif

Congrats! My wife and I have owned for about 6 months now. It's nice. However, the "list " never ever goes away.

I took my Gen. Chem I test today. I made the second highest grade in the class, an 84. Yeah, me!
Some of you may recall the troubles I was having last semester with Gen. Chem, and I ended up dropping because I was afraid I couldn't keep my B.
As a point of reference, I flunked my first Gen. Chem test the first time around.

QUOTE (Ash-O-Rama @ Jan 30 2003, 09:35 PM)
I took my Gen. Chem I test today. I made the second highest grade in the class, an 84. Yeah, me!
Some of you may recall the troubles I was having last semester with Gen. Chem, and I ended up dropping because I was afraid I couldn't keep my B.
As a point of reference, I flunked my first Gen. Chem test the first time around.

smile.gif cool.gif YEAH!! cool.gif smile.gif

Congrats to the new home owners!!!
Way to go, Ash! I did the same with Chem II. It wasn't going well (prego with my twins) and I was struggling so I dropped the class. Turned around and took it a year later with much more success.
Theresa

QUOTE (Ash-O-Rama @ Jan 30 2003, 10:35 PM)

Ash,
I knew you could do it! We have faith in ya my boy!!!!

I have celebration to announce –
Dartmouthmy top choice for residency has just offered me a contract outside of the match!!! I have a guaranteed PGY-2 thru PGY-5 slot at Dartmouth to train to be an anesthesiologist!!!
It is no longer just a goal, I am truly going to be an anesthesiologist!!!

Ash,
Great newa about chem.
Dave,

Congratulations on your anesthesia residency!!! Where are you going to do your internship?
Not trying to be a downer but I thought I read that offering and taking positions outside of the match process is frowned upon. Is this erroneous info. I read your diary post on the general process but how does something like this situation work? Just curious. Congrats again!!!

Dave, that’s fantastic!!! I’m extremely happy for you!!!
Theresa

Hey Dave - Congrats!!!
Bring your skiis! laugh.gif About the only thing New England is good for. Especially this winter. wink.gif
Way to go!

Not trying to be a downer but I thought I read that offering and taking positions outside of the match process is frowned upon. Is this erroneous info. I read your diary post on the general process but how does something like this situation work? Just curious. Congrats again!!!

You are very correct & observant for asking. Frowned upon...not really. Technically, since I am applying as an independent candidate (all DOs, IMGs & FMGs are independent candidates in the NRMP), they can offer me a contract outside of the match. Were I to be an MD candidate, to have offered the contract would be violation of NRMP rules and technically breach of contract and hence illegal. Furthermore, this is the last year that ACGME program will allowed to sign folks outside of the NRMP - no matter whether they are independent or not.
More realistically, as intensely competitive of anesthesiology has become, it was highly unlikely for a top-tier program like Dartmouth to feel compelled to offer a slot outside of the match. Typically, for a program in a competitive discipline to offer a contract outside of the match is indicative of potential problems in the program. In essence, if it is a competitive discipline, they have their pick of the litter; so why & go lock up a spot? This is why I was so honored that a program of Dartmouth's stature would offer me a slot like this.
For less competitive disciplines (FP, IM, Peds), it is not uncommon for slots to be contracted pre-match for independent candidates. As I mentioned above, after the 2003 NRMP, the point becomes moot.

Congratulations Dave! That's AWESOME!!

Way to go, Dave! You continue to inspire.

ohmy.gif Omigosh, Mary!! I have a soon to be 16 yr old and we're letting her double-date now. Scares me to death. But I know I have to let go soon enough. Even if she makes mistakes, I've got to let her learn from them ... no matter how hard it is for me, the very opinionated one!
laugh.gif Congrats to the new homeowners! It is a bittersweet feeling to own your home. Wonderful to not have someone tell you what you can and cannot do with it. But terrible when you have to clear your own backed-up toilet (our baby likes to throw blocks down the toilet)!
biggrin.gif Congrats Dave! What a wonderful feeling! Dartmouth! Woo hoo! I knew you could do it!
biggrin.gif Give me an A! Give me an S! Give me an H! Gooooo ASH!!! Yes, we had confidence in you, but it was even greater that you had the confidence in yourself to take Gen Chem again! And to make one of the highest grades!! Keep moving forward! We've got your back but you're moving at a great momentum!!! You can do it!!