Chances of getting a residency at age 61 as FMG

I am currently in a Post-Bac program at a University. I am doing well in my studies (48 credits, GPA 4.0/4.0, ranked in top 5% of class-knock on wood) . Another 10-12 credits and I am done with the prerequisites. If all goes well, I will be 57 by the time I start medical school in the US (Plan A).

Considering my age,I worry about the viability of my plan and continue to look into alternates in becoming a doctor even if Plan A fails (purely due to my age). One way I have come up with is to go to a medical school in the Caribbean and than apply for a residency in US.

Questions for the forum:

A: What are the prospects of finding a residency in the US with FM education at age 61. (I am going to be perfectly happy with Internal Medicine).

B: Would you get a priority as a US citizen over a non US citizen in the residency match. The thought here is if this is true than you are guaranteed a residency regardless of the age as long as you got good scores in the USMLE (I think so, but I may be totally wrong).

Thanks for the input. I really need your help in coming up with a viable alternate to plan A.

Note: Webmaster please direct this to a correct forum, if necessary. Thanks

• Harapa Said:
I am currently in a Post-Bac program at a University. I am doing well in my studies (48 credits, GPA 4.0/4.0, ranked in top 5% of class-knock on wood) . Another 10-12 credits and I am done with the prerequisites. If all goes well, I will be 57 by the time I start medical school in the US (Plan A).

The oldest newly matriculated DO student in 2009 was 56 years old

• In reply to:
Considering my age,I worry about the viability of my plan and continue to look into alternates in becoming a doctor even if Plan A fails (purely due to my age). One way I have come up with is to go to a medical school in the Caribbean and than apply for a residency in US.

You sound like an excellent candidate to push the age envelope

• In reply to:
Questions for the forum:

A: What are the prospects of finding a residency in the US with FM education at age 61. (I am going to be perfectly happy with Internal Medicine).

while that data likely exists, I do not have ready access to it due to cost.

• In reply to:
B: Would you get a priority as a US citizen over a non US citizen in the residency match. The thought here is if this is true than you are guaranteed a residency regardless of the age as long as you got good scores in the USMLE (I think so, but I may be totally wrong).

unfortunately you are incorrect. FMG, both US Citizen and non-citizen have significantly lower match rates. In 2010, FMG (US Citizen) match rate was 47.3% and FMG (non-citizen) was 39%. If you click on my bad cut-&-paste picture below, you will see the data from left to right 2010 thru 2006 match data.

Complete data can be downloaded from http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

US-MD or US-DO is the way to go. Off-shore MD is nearly a crap shoot and I do not trust the self reported numbers from those schools. The sad thing is that I like the docs I have had from the off-shore schools, both the major and minor ones. But I can't advise you take that route. It would put you at such a disadvantage

• In reply to:
Thanks for the input. I really need your help in coming up with a viable alternate to plan A.

I am not sure a viable plan B for being a physician is advisable in your situation. However, I think that before FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) takes over, you sound like a good candidate to US medical schools and you need to focus on that. Until that letter of acceptance or rejection is in your hand, this is nearly a hypothetical proposition. If you get into a US medical school, whether DO or MD, you have a 95% match rate. Focus on the goal
  • In reply to:
I am not sure a viable plan B for being a physician is advisable in your situation. However, I think that before FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) takes over, you sound like a good candidate to US medical schools and you need to focus on that. You are correct and thanks you for your support. Until that letter of acceptance or rejection is in your hand, this is nearly a hypothetical proposition. If you get into a US medical school, whether DO or MD, you have a 95% match rate. Focus on the goal

Thank you very much for all the information. Actually year and half ago when I began the pursuit residency match was the main reason that I decide not to go offshore;other being lack of independent data on graduation rates as well as residency match for many of these schools. Otherwise by now I would be about to finish the preclinical part of their MD program.

Hello. These are good questions.

US Medical school residents are given priority. There are positions for foreign residents, but you must be prepared to persevere…more flexibility about types of residencies, locations. And more interviews, unless you already have “connections.”

Age-- a favorite topic of mine these days-- the choice SHOULD be yours. If you are enjoying learning and doing well at learning new things, then it sounds like you just need to decide whether you want to deal with the attitudes you will encounter until you are successful. As an older student, you already have much “practicality” --experience dealing with realities of life goals, sacrifices, limitations, life expectancy, etc. The kinds of choices that deal with benefits and costs to you personally SHOULD be yours to make, as long as you are capable. It is true that the attitudes of others (especially if you are female) will endanger your success until you are a practicing physicians. But then you will be “home free” with the good luck everyone needs.

Caring, knowledgeable physicians are needed. Flexibility and perseverence is the “name of the game” for older medical students.

Good luck!