ChemII

I start GenChemII July 1.

It has been about 4 years since I completed ChemI with an A which I did not study intensely to receive.

Do you think it would be to my advantage to spend this time to refresh from the beginning of the book or to go ahead & start covering material which will be covered in this class…going back when needed in order to “remember” things ?

My instructor is still TBA and probably will be until the day of class. So I can’t ask him/her

The really safe answer is to review from the beginning. But I’d just recommend to just start class on July 1st after scanning over the previous chapters and to just refer back to those chapters whenever needed.

• fredbear Said:
I start GenChemII July 1.

It has been about 4 years since I completed ChemI with an A which I did not study intensely to receive.

Do you think it would be to my advantage to spend this time to refresh from the beginning of the book or to go ahead & start covering material which will be covered in this class...going back when needed in order to "remember" things ?

My instructor is still TBA and probably will be until the day of class. So I can't ask him/her

Quite honestly, I would just go back to remember things when necessary. Gen Chem 2 does build upon Gen Chem 1, however, if you want to generalize, it's just memorizing a bunch of random information and math formulas on exams. Not much rhyme or reason to it and you'll probably never use the stuff you learn after the class. I've been told by many people gen chem 2 isn't even required for ochem at their college/university.

I had a year break between gen chem I and II and it was a bit dicey the first week or two, but it quickly came back. The problem areas were ones I didn’t completely grasp in chem I and a short review (i.e., 10-15 minutes) and it was figured out.

What helped me a lot was thinking of everything as solving a puzzle…making a game out of it. Much more enjoyable approach because chemistry and I have never been friends.

My 2¢… definitely go back and review the basics such as the mole, stoich, atomic structure, electron orbitals, periodicity, types of bonding, writing chemical formulas from their names and vice versa, types of reactions, and conversion factoring.

Dane