Class of 2017 Chat

Sticking my head up to say hello to my fellow MS1’s! Never enough time in the day, way more info than I can absorb, but getting by adequately nonetheless. Everyone else hanging in there?

Oh yeah - definitely hanging.

This week was bad, kids and wife sick, so I lost 4 days of studying with 2 anatomy finals (lab and lec coming) and physiology rolling. I am so behind!

Other than that, so far so good. Can’t think of a specialty yet, too busy to do it all…

Happy to see things are going well for you.

Sorry for the hard week on your end! Hope all are now doing well, and that you didn’t catch whatever was going around.

We are now into histology, which I like much better than gross anatomy…not sure why, but it “clicks” better in my mind. I’ll see if I still feel that way after I get my exam back next week.

And we can worry about specialties later…

I just finished a midterm exam today. With one more exam to go in 3 weeks, I will be done with my 1st semester in med school. Wow! Can’t believe it!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone:)

I’ve been following your posts on your first year by Carrieliz! Congrats to all of you on being accepted to medical school! Carrieliz congrats on getting your scholarship and birth of your daughter. I followed your premed posts also. How did you guys do on your first semester? Did you get letter grades or pass/fail? How’s the Spring 2014 semester going for everyone? Have you all completed gross anatomy, biochemistry, and physiology? I’ve been following Carrieliz’s thread but no further posts since last year. Please update! I’d love to hear more! Redo, I’m so happy for you that your slow but sure perseverance paid off and now you are in medical school. I’ve followed your premed journey. Don’t want to leave anyone out so again a round of applause to all of you, Class of 2017!! Keep us posted!

Hellooooo!!! So yes, I was swallowed up in the vortex of first year. Lol. But OOOH, what a great ride!!!

Thus far, I’ve had anatomy, Biochem, physiology, and histology. (As well as physical exam and communications). 2nd half of my spring will consist of genetics, biostats, and some psych/human development stuff. So far, I love it. Even when it’s hard, this still feels like a gift.

The back half of first semester was challenging…my husband was deployed a month early, both younger daughters got the flu, and I spent 4 days in the hospital right before exams due to sepsis. (Yeeeah.). But you know what? Life happens. We made it. Now, hubby is back home and life has simplified.

I love my new family…my classmates… I love the community and the support. I’ve found where I belong!!

This semester, we’re given opportunities to get out of the books and remind ourselves why we’re here. I just did a week long preceptorship with a pediatrician back at home, and I got to take patient histories, assist in minor procedures, etc. Fantastic!! I also follow an internal medicine dr every Thursday in a semester long preceptorship that keeps me in the hospital all day. It’s something I think my program does really well, and I’m grateful for it.

Balance is my new theme for life. I no longer care if I have the highest grade. My goal is always an 85 or better (solid middle of the road B.). If I’m achieving that, my weekends belong solely to my family. I am very efficient through the week with my studies and try not to get behind, so I can give them all of me on Sat/Sun. It feels good to relax a little and not be so grade driven.

I’ve been told, in all my clinical evals, that I interact with patients, communicate, and handle physical exam with the ease of a resident…running circles around 3rd and 4th yr students. I’ve been told I’m “made for this.” My dear, non trad friends…I attribute this to the ADVANTAGE of being older and having life experience–not to any special super power I intrinsically possess. We know how to deal with people. It doesn’t make us uncomfortable. Compare that to your early 20 something classmates, and your physicians will find it so refreshing. :). We have skills acquired by living life…it’s a GOOD thing!!!

In other news, we are exploring the idea of moving my family over here. 2nd year is the hardest, I’ll be prepping for Step 1, and we’re just tired of being apart. I’ll have to be a single mom during my husband’s 8 week deployments, but I’ll figure it out. This 4 hr commute (1 way) each week is wearing me down.

I can’t believe I’m 2 months away from being done with my M1 year. Never has time flown so quickly. I hope everyone is hanging in there, and that you haven’t lost your sense of awe! Just keep jumping through these hoops…the promised land is coming!!! Lol. Xoxo

Hi Carrieliz, Thank you so much for your post! You’re such an expressive writer! I can so easily follow along just visualizing it all. I guess that’s why I so enjoyed your premed posts. It was awesome when you got accepted to medical school! I’m glad to hear you’ve made it through your first semester and all those challenges (sorry to hear that you’d been ill) and are on course to accomplish having year 1 under your belt! You’re absolutely right that grades don’t matter in medical school as long as you pass decently- it’s the learning and training and balance with you life (be that family or anything else) that counts. Just from the warmth and sincerity you project in your writing it was always clear to me that you’d be awesome connecting with and treating patients. I’m glad to see my prediction has come to pass. You’re going to have a fabulous career as an MD- another of my predictions! I’ll bet histology was one of your “fun” courses besides gross anatomy of course. I’ll bet nothing can top walking into the gross anatomy lab as a brand new medical student! Many more blessings and much more success to you and to your wonderful family. May I ask if you hire at home child care when your husband is away and can’t be there? I know your future patients will love how you’re going to care for, teach, and treat them because you’ve got the “C” word “Compassion” for all. Oh and I’m so glad you’ve found niche and “home” within your med school community. Support and acceptance in your training environment is critical. I struggled with this in my graduate program and this made it very difficult for me to survive. However I did not give up and finished. Me. I’m battle-scarred but still in awe when it comes to medical school. -Although preparing for the mcat seems daunting! I recall you handled taking it so well and succeeded! Before you know it you’ll be a medical school graduate! I know I’m little more than a stranger to you however I am very proud of you and feel as if I “know” you. The example you are setting for your two daughters is tremendous. What a mentor you’ll be for them. Again my sincere congratulations and blessings. I’m sure you’re quite busy. Drop a post from time to time when you can. Would love to hear your experiences. Thank you and God Bless.

Thank you so much!! It actually means a great deal to me to learn that my posts were somehow helpful or encouraging to someone. I know how much support and help I got from the old premeds who were ahead of me, so it is awesome to learn that I have somehow done that for you. I really appreciate you sharing that.

On the childcare question, we are very fortunate. Both my mom and my sister are available to help with the girls…but that’s back in our hometown. If everyone moves over here, that is one of the logistical hurdles we will face. My class schedule has me busy next year until almost 4pm, and I need time to study…I anticipate some sort of daycare for our little one and after school care for our 1st grader. When my husband isn’t deployed, he is a phenomenal stay home daddy–but he’s on a 60 day out/60 day home rotation. My classmates are so eager to get my family over here for me that many of them have offered to babysit while I study, be that at night or weekends. We definitely have options, so we’ll figure it out.

I have to laugh…can I be honest and tell you that I despise histology?? I can’t even tell you why. I loved anatomy. I am nuts about physiology. Histology? Not so much. Blobs under a microscope… No thank you!!! It’s ok, though. I never expected to love every class, and I have no desire to be a pathologist.

I need a nap. Today’s hospital work was mentally and emotionally draining… I thought I’d love the hospital, but I find I actually enjoy clinic a lot better. And today, after observing FIVE different sad conversations with family, I’m crossing critical care off my list. It costs something from your soul, and I’m just too empathetic. It wouldn’t do the families much good to have the dr boohoo crying during discussions. One good thing about this process…it’s definitely long enough to help you figure out what you want to do!

You guys hang in there…and take care of yourselves!!

Wow Carrieliz,

it certainly sounds like you are on an adventure and learning so much educationally as well as in medicine and you are progressing! That’s so wonderful your family is filling in to support care for your little daughters. You can function in peace knowing they are well cared for. It’s also awesome you’ve got the friends willing to assist. This is a blessing!

That’s too funny about histology/microanatomy! I should have said it’s a “less intense all things considered” in lieu of “fun”. Those structures can be a little tricky to identify and the practicals can be intense because they certainly can look like “blobs” as you humorously put it (smile).

Keep up the good work!! P.S. If you like physiology, my guess is you’re going to do fabulous with boards!

Hope you and everyone have another terrific semester for your first year.

• carrieliz Said:
I've been told, in all my clinical evals, that I interact with patients, communicate, and handle physical exam with the ease of a resident...running circles around 3rd and 4th yr students.

Ditto EVERYTHING you said here about the ADVANTAGE of being a nontrad! We nontrads just need to really SELL IT in interviews!

BTW, I too have enjoyed your posts over the years and think you're attending med school in one of the most beautiful areas of the country!

Do you have your own thread on OPM? You certainly need one!

YES! That’s it exactly. I’ve said all along… By the time you get to the application and interview process, most everyone is technically qualified. At that point, you don’t have to necessarily be better…you just need to be different. A delight to read in a stack of monotony. Stand out and be memorable. As non trads, we absolutely have the advantage. WORK IT!

Path, how in the world are you? :). Thanks for your comments. I never did start an OPM space of my own. Thought about it… Maybe someday. And I concur–this area is unbelievably beautiful!! CONFESSION…I’m embarrassed to be whining about histo where you can see it. ;). The thing is… It’s so crucial to what we do as physicians. And as we get deeper and deeper into personalized medicine, and literally being able to match each patient with the right cocktail of cancer drugs based on DNA, etc., Cell and Tissue pathophys is right at the pioneering edge of all that. I totally get it. But I have the worst jr high “this is stupid and I don’t wanna learn it” attitude about that class!!! I really need to get over it and just do the work. :). I’m just glad the brilliant people (like YOU!) don’t share my feelings. :). 3 more weeks and I’m free…from that class anyway.

I had two exams today (Histology and Physiology) covering Renal, GI, and exocrine systems in both classes. Hundreds of pages of notes. I haven’t slept since Saturday night. It was totally worth it. Both exams went well, and now we’re in the home stretch…3 more weeks to to spring break, and just a six week block of biostats, genetics, and lifespan development left before summer. Whew!

It’s worth it. It’s totally worth it. I’ll just keep repeating it over and over. :).

I’ll leave you guys with this: I was on FaceTime with my 7yr old last night, and she said, “Mommy, why in the world are you studying so hard for pee and poop? Flush. That’s all you need to know!!” Gotta love Renal and GI!!!

Have a great night, all!

A 7 year old’s perspective on GI & Renal…that is priceless, Carrie Liz! As much as it is hard to not spend as much time with family as we want, I really think they make this journey easier on us in important ways. We don’t have the option of putting life on hold while we’re in school - the proof that it keeps on going is right in front of us, in the words and actions of our kids and families.

Take care!

Carrieliz,

Yep I get you’re conveying while this course isn’t exactly your passion, you definitely know the importance of learning it. I was a Teaching Assistant in microanatomy while I was a PhD candidate in Physiological science, so I’ve heard things being looked at under the microscope humorously characterized as “blobs” as you’ve done, on many occasions.

I know you’ll do the work and continue to do well in your basic science classes and, importantly, make those inspiring connections with patients. Great to read about.

Congratulations to you all, Class of 2017!

• carrieliz Said:
Path, how in the world are you? :). Thanks for your comments. I never did start an OPM space of my own. Thought about it... Maybe someday. And I concur--this area is unbelievably beautiful!! CONFESSION...I'm embarrassed to be whining about histo where you can see it. ;). The thing is... It's so crucial to what we do as physicians. And as we get deeper and deeper into personalized medicine, and literally being able to match each patient with the right cocktail of cancer drugs based on DNA, etc., Cell and Tissue pathophys is right at the pioneering edge of all that. I totally get it. But I have the worst jr high "this is stupid and I don't wanna learn it" attitude about that class!!! I really need to get over it and just do the work. :). I'm just glad the brilliant people (like YOU!) don't share my feelings. :). 3 more weeks and I'm free...from that class anyway.

I'm doing absolutely FABULOUS and so happy to read that you're enjoying med school!

ROTFL at the Histo comments, I get why most people hate it. But I'm so impressed you're seeing the connection between histology and personalized medicine as some of the medical people I'm around just don't "get it".

Just lemme know when it's USMLE time, I've got some great tips to pass on for reviewing histo/path.