Clinical Experience

Hello all

I am considering changing career and going to Med School and this page has been very helpful to me.

I am a Medical Laboratory Scientist Certified by ASCP, I have experience working in Microbiology and Immunology. My question is can that work experience count toward Clinical Experience when applying to Med School or Not?

This is a very good question that I’m sure not many people know the answer to. This is from the Kaplan Test Prep Med School Pulse page

“Luckily, the opportunities that generally qualify as “clinical experiences” are broad and plentiful. As one admissions officer put it, ‘If you can smell patients, it’s a clinical experience.’ Within clinical experience, you can divide them into two main categories: paid and volunteer. Examples of paid positions include emergency room techs, pharmacy techs, phlebotomists, licensed practical nurses, emergency medical technicians, emergency room scribes, and paramedics.” [end quote]

So does your position answer that basic question “could you smell patients?”. If it’s still confusing you should call each one of your prospective medical school and ask if it counts. That laboratory experience is valuable whether it counts or not, but if you weren’t working with patients then you need to do some volunteer work (which you should have already), but I’m a scribe at an ER in a hospital and it’s awesome cause I get paid for getting clinical experience. Hope this helps!

Hello

Thank you very much for the it is very helpful. At my job I do not smell or interact with patient :slight_smile: I am in the basement testing their samples :lol:

I have a little bit of volunteer hours but I don’t think it is enough so I am going to get more.

@MedicalLabScientist wrote:

Hello

Thank you very much for the it is very helpful. At my job I do not smell or interact with patient :slight_smile: I am in the basement testing their samples :lol:

I have a little bit of volunteer hours but I don’t think it is enough so I am going to get more.

Well depending on the sample you “Could” smell the patient. :shock: :? :o :lol: