COMLEX 1 IS OVER!!

Linda, just wanted to add my sympathies as well. These types of things that happen to us generally gives us resolve to really nail it next time around. Keep at it and good luck.
I’m right behind you! I can’t beleive this is my last year prior to COMLEX-1 - then on to rotations!

sometimes the bear gets you! And he got me . . . again. I can’t believe it, but I failed the COMLEX again, by even fewer points than the first time around.

So what now? Well, I go before the promotions committee within the next couple of weeks, am placed on the COMLEX Prep Trek, and get pulled from rotations. That’s the killer. BUT, that’s the policy. I have learned more on rotations the last few months than I learned in the first two years. I am going to ask to be allowed to do my ER rotation in January. I have already reserved an apartment and spent an exorbitant amount to do so. Hopefully they will allow me to do that one, although I have no assurances that will be the case.

Other than that, I will take the time to review the material for boards. . again. . this time with new vigor and intensity. I am also going to take a few weeks, scattered throughout the time, to get away for a few days at a time and relax. AND, I’m still going to go to Tulsa, and although I can’t do an official rotation, I can spend the time with Randy Hunt and the Univ. of Oklahoma doctors doing basically the same thing. I just won’t be allowed to write progress notes or orders.

That’s another story. When I found out I hadn’t passed yet again, I was afraid it would end any chance I have of a residency in Tulsa. After talking with Randy last night, I feel re-energized and more determined than ever. He has been the best friend, supporter, and mentor a medical student could have. If you get to this year’s conference, be sure and spend the time to get to know him.

Linda,
I’m sorry to hear about COMLEX but happy to hear the note of positivity and determination in your voice. Good luck in your studies and slay it good the next time.
Kathy

Sorry to read about it Linda, Good luck! You can beat the Bear!

I AM sorry to hear about this setback for you, but it sounds like you have a good plan for recovery and attack. I think the idea of some time off coupled with new study is a very good idea. All you need to know is probably in there; maybe some time off to let things organize without constant streaming input will be a real help. Thank God for friends/mentors like the one you mention. I know it sounds a little silly, but you are my hero, so I’m rooting for ya.
Sheryl

Linda this sucks but you will get past this no doubt. My heart goes out and will keep you in my prayers if that is okay with you…I hope that you can do your ER rotation and go from there.

Linda -
It takes a lot of courage to post to the world about your difficulties with the COMLEX. I’m sorry to hear about your latest results. I know you worked hard. I think the clinical knowledge you have gained will definitely help you next time around. For some people, all of this stuff we learn our first two years doesn’t really “click” until you start to see it in clinicals. I know I have felt that way about a lot of my EMS training - certain things I just don’t “get” until I see them in real life.
I’m thinking of you.
Amy

Linda,
I’m so sorry to hear this–but you have an excellent attitude and I’m sure things will turn upwards from here. I hope you get to do the ER rotation too. What does the prep track involve? It’s interesting that so many people from your PBL group are in the same position. Hopefully the prep track will address some of the PBL issues. Hang in there!

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes. And any and all prayers are welcomed and appreciated! Without my belief in a Higher Authority, I would have given up on a lot of things, including my life, a long time ago. (That’s another subject concerning health issues).
I will be fine. My surgery rotation is going great and my attitude will hang tough, just like it always does.
Thanks again for all your support!

Linda,
Sheesh! Man, does that suck or what!? If I could, I would donate some of my COMLEX points to you! Hell, knowing you as I do, I would not hesitate to let you take care of me or my family as our FP. Even more, I wish I could figure out what or where your bugaboo is…got me stumped.
As I said on the phone, I have utmost confidence that you will surmount this obstacle & you will learn something of value from it - most likely about yourself & your desries to become a physician. Please do not interpret my comments as mere platitudes - I mean them earnestly. However, I know they are of only minimal value until you do pass this beast.
For all of those out there comtemplating or actively seeking to become a physician - please take note of Linda’s plight…and the plights of numerous others in there forums regarding the journey. As daunting as the MCAT appears, the challenge only becomes more intense as your training & education advance. It is do-able, but it takes ann enormous amoount of work. And, no matter how hard you work, ALL will encounter stumbling blocks.
I have no doubt that Linda will persevere…but the sorts of things really feel like a gut-punch and take a lot out of you as a person. But, once you clear these hurdles, you will have a newfound perspective on exactly how much you are personally capable of achieving.
Go Linda Go!