Community College vs Universities

Hi all! I am currently working full time at a start-up, and I am weighing options for getting prereq’s for med school apps. There’s a community college here in Austin that I could take classes at, but I’m worried the “community college” aspect of it will look bad on med school apps, especially if it’s where I’m getting all my science courses. Does location and rigour matter for prereqs?

Thanks

1 Like

It doesn’t matter per-se, but you should kill your University degree as well. What medical schools don’t want is to see you go to a CC because it is “easier”. They will also look at the academic rigor when you finish your 4 year degree.

1 Like

In my exp cc sciences are often more difficult because you do not get nearly the same amount of resources as you do in universities. Most ccs done give you practice tests or access to previous tests from prior years.

I don’t have direct experience in this but I know Dr. Gray’s podcasts talk about this often. He does say that it can be seen as “easier”. But depending on how the rest of your transcript looks it might now matter. If you have a great GPA and did really well in school originally but you just weren’t in a science major and that’s why you’re going back, that would look better than if you got a degree in the sciences originally but did poorly and are now going back to improve grades; regardless of the actual level of difficulty, the assumption might become that your A’s at CC post-bacc are simply due to the fact that they were at a CC.

1 Like